How do you keep your run perfect?

I think about this stuff all the time when I see such nice pics. Today I cleaned the coops and runs, so they're looking pretty good. Tomorrow they'll look like the poop-pocalypse happened all over again.

I was considering sand in the future. That pic sure makes it look like a good idea. Haha!

@aart See, that's why I'm on the fence about sand. Is it REALLY easier to keep clean, or does it just LOOK better?

I'm more interested in function than appearance. I may try it in an aviary I'm using for my silkies. It's the only area where we have an occasional problem with mice, and I was hoping sand might be harder for them to tunnel through. Think it might help or no?

@aart See, that's why I'm on the fence about sand. Is it REALLY easier to keep clean, or does it just LOOK better?

I'm more interested in function than appearance. I may try it in an aviary I'm using for my silkies. It's the only area where we have an occasional problem with mice, and I was hoping sand might be harder for them to tunnel through. Think it might help or no?
My experience with sand....it's great in the beginning but then over winter when I couldn't get out and clean it often...then with all the snow melt and rain...the sand, poop and water have created a hard and smelly mess that I now have to go and dig out! I am going to try some untreated bark mulch and peat moss and see how that works.

Just my 2 cents but I HATED sand. I know some folks love it and I'm happy it works for them but my experience was that it stunk to high heaven and I was spending at least 2 hours a week scooping poop. It wasn't pretty. I switched to straw and built a compost bin to deal with the waste and haven't looked back. I rake the straw every few weeks to mix it around and pull it all out about every 4-6 months to finish composting it in the bin. I add straw as needed. No more than 10 minutes of maintenance a week and it almost never smells. Another drawback of sand....my Australorp ate it. To the point of an impacted crop and a $150 vet bill. Not worth the risk IMO. Plus it is way too much work. Mine only looked as good as the first pic on day one. Downhill from there.

Wood chip, wood chip, love it. The stuff that tree trimmers have, often for free. I live in the rain capital of the US, it rained pretty much EVERY day this winter, and my run always looks and smells pretty darn good.

Sand seems like it would work okay in a dry climate, but here it would pretty much be a soupy mess all winter.

I agree, I'm sure the hens prefer a run that has a bit more "interest"!

Wood chip, wood chip, love it. The stuff that tree trimmers have, often for free. I live in the rain capital of the US, it rained pretty much EVERY day this winter, and my run always looks and smells pretty darn good.

Sand seems like it would work okay in a dry climate, but here it would pretty much be a soupy mess all winter.

I agree, I'm sure the hens prefer a run that has a bit more "interest"!
I live in Seattle!

Back
Top Bottom