How do you know if your chicken is awesome?

artsy1

Songster
8 Years
Sep 5, 2011
sarasota
I would like to find out if my chicken will be great enough to show.
How do you find out this info?
She is just 1 week old and it is a fluke that she looks so awesome, bought them as a group from a hatchery.

Aren't all chickens awesome?

To find out if your chicken is exhibition quality, you wait until the adult feathers are in and then you compare your bird to the written description of that breed in The Standard of Perfection. You also have to read the sections of general conformation and disqualifications and look at how the point system is set up.

Then, I suggest that you take a close look at birds of your breed that are actually winning.

Oh, and don't forget, you have to post a pic of her at least weekly, so we can watch her grow up, and ooh, and aah, and there is always a breed thread, so you have to post twice...
You know I'm getting a little crazy here today...
But seriously, got through all the threads, what breed is she? It's amazing what is in here...

As stated by everyone else.

Just another tip though - Hatchery birds, most of the time, do not show well except at local fairs or 4-H.

Non-hatchery chickens often show well though.

Quote:
Regardless of source of the bird, allow it to fully mature and reach final adult feather, size and condition. Read and understand the APA / ABA standard that applies to the breed for body size and type feather type and quality. Then Read and understand the variety color standard for that bird. If it meets the criteria displayed in the breed type standrd and teh variety color standard you may have something worthy of being seen if not you have a chciken for around the house.

Back
Top Bottom