How do you know when it's serious?

BlueMoon

Songster
12 Years
Oct 3, 2007
Scenic Verbank, NY
We've had a huge decline in egg production. I had been attributing it to summer, to moulting, to lice or mites...but the weather's cooled, only a few girls seem to be moulting and they've gotten Ivermectin for the lice/mites.

I've separated hens from roos today, but again, hardly any eggs by noon. There are plenty off nesting boxes.

Any thoughts on what else to try? I'm concerned that this drop is due to something more serious.

Thanks - we get about 12 hours a day still. The big laying months are March - May. I'll try the light, but still wonder if something more serious is happening.

You might think about other factors. Have there been predators spooking them? Have you moved them recently? Are there any changes in their environment that may have scared them (think like a chicken: laundry hanging out, you're wearing a different coat, neighbor's mowing the lawn again, etc.).

Good luck and keep us posted!

Come to think of it, I did start wearing a barn jacket!

We're around 42 for latitude.

I did bring in new chickens, but they're in another coop (and terrified to leave).

Ok, but going back in the records, they averaged two dozen eggs a day until the end of July and have dropped to averaging a dozen for about two weeks. If anything, about ten hens have reached laying age and I would have expected the number to climb.
They do free range during the day and i occasionally find egg stashes...but not recently.

Back
Top Bottom