How do you know when the bugs are gone?

SunnyCalifornia

Songster
9 Years
Oct 8, 2010
Escondido CA
I received 3 new birds last week, and they HAVE BEEN QUARANTINED. When they first arrived, they were dewormed, and I applied Frontline on them for mites/lice (These are show birds, not for eating or laying). I don't find any moving critters on them, but I still see egg sacs on the base of the feathers. I gave them a good bath, and will do so again in a week, I'm just wondering when can I be sure that they are bug free?

You will need to be vigilant in their de-bugging. It takes 10 days for those eggs to hatch. If you have completely treated them and their surroundings, you will need to do it all again in 10 days to get any new bugs. If you are still not certain that you have gotten all the bugs, I would do it all again in another 10 days. After 3 rounds of treatment, you should be bug free. The key is to be thorough and meticulous in the process of cleaning/treating them and their surroundings.

Good luck! I often deal with mite issues, so I know how frustrating bugs can be.

Some types of lice hatch in as little as four days, so repeat treatments are most useful at that interval. That said, frontline probably does not require frequent retreatment the way a spray or powder would.

Wouldn't something like Frontline drops stay active for newly hatched bugs? With sprays, powders, and things like that you must repeat the process.

I did mine with ivermec pour-on, bugs were gone the next morning. All of them from all appearances. Most of my birds are super tame so I can go through their feathers for awhile before they get tired of me.

I'm unsure how long it stays active on the skin. I would also have that concern with any other skin-absorbed product, not wanting to reapply too frequently if it's still active.

Thanks for all the tips. I think I"ll re-bathe them again, try to get them as clean as possible, then watch for new signs.

I'm thinking I'll dump all the shavings again, and spray their quarantine crate with the Adams flea and tick? Does that sound like a good idea?

As a Pest Control Professional and a Serama lover I recomend a Product call Nuvan Pest strips its easy you just hang it in the same room as the birds ( not in there pen but in a place they can not reach) then you wait it takes about three days to kill all adults and there unhatched eggs.

Back
Top Bottom