How do you know when the Hatch is done?

IzatKaren

In the Brooder
6 Years
Feb 23, 2013
Today is day 21! So far 6 have hatched. I have seen at least 3 more pipped eggs (that are visible).

Tomorrow will be 48 hours in the hatch for 3 of them and the other 3 will only be 24 hours.

Should I open the incubator tomorrow and just remove the 3 - 48 hour old chicks?

How long should I wait after removing the hatched chicks for the rest of the eggs to see if they are going to hatch?

Thanks!
KK

I would remove the chicks tomorrow and give the remaining eggs another 36 hours - good luck with more hatching.

I have now seen at least a total of 4 eggs with pipping!

Is this usual? My husband reports that on the 5th one, the baby had it's beak out and was chirping loudly (distress call) and the older babies came and helped out. (i.e. actually helped break the shell).

Thanks!

I woke this morning with a total of 10 chicks out of 18 fertile eggs born! There are two more that have pipped and I see them working their shell.

I removed the three oldest to a brooder and left the others in the incubator to continue to dry and mature.

I started with 25 eggs, 18 ended up being fertile and so far it looks like 12 will hatch. Is that a good hatch rate?

KK

That's not a bad hatch! And it's not over yet... A batch of eggs can hatch over 3-4 days, so don't give up on the last ones just yet.

Thanks! I've removed all the babies and have left the remaining eggs for another two days to see if they hatch. Twelve total hatched. I checked some of the eggs, and they felt very heavy so my guess is these are developed but for whatever reason are late hatching or not going to hatch at all :(

Since this was my first time hatching, these babies are mixed chickens. A friend gave me 18 eggs to hatch and I had 7 from my own hens. Some of them were Easter Eggers. Babies are so cute with their fluffy cheeks!

One thing to keep in mind about hatched chicks. Just before they hatch they absorb what's left of the yoke. That will sustain them for about 3 days. After that if they don't start eating/drinking they weaken & start to die.

Back
Top Bottom