How do you know who's laying or not

desstheblessed

In the Brooder
Jul 4, 2022
I have a flock of 20 but only get about 5-6 eggs a day. Does that sound right? or do I have some free loaders? Is there any way to check who is laying without segregating one by one..

I have a flock of 20 but only get about 5-6 eggs a day. Does that sound right? or do I have some free loaders? Is there any way to check who is laying without segregating one by one..
You may not have any freeloaders as you so eloquently put it.:p
At the rear end of a hen are two bones that protrude from their skeleton below their vents. The spacing between these bones is one indication of whether they are laying or not but it's not infallible.
Rooster attention can be another indication. If the rooster is mating the hens there's a good chance they are laying eggs.
Comb colour can also be an indication.
None of the above are 100% reliable.
The most likely explantion for you lack of eggs is those not laying are taking a break. Hens do this, mostly over low light months, when moulting, under stress
and very occasionally because they just don't lay eggs.

The important thing to bear in mind is despite what some believe hens are not egg laying machines and a great many factors can and do influence their egg laying.

Welcome!

I am in the northern hemisphere and we are leaving spring, headed into summer, and I would expect considerably more eggs out of 20 hens. I expect about, kind of, sort of 4 eggs for every 5 hens. So your daily take should be much closer to 16-18 eggs.

But eggs are not a 365 day deal. A lot depends on how old the birds are, and the season of the year. If all your birds are three years + old and you are going into the fall, then I would expect between 8-12 eggs a day out of 20 bird. As it gets closer to deep winter, I would expect that to drop/

If you have had a sudden drop in production - a hidden nest.

Mrs K

Back
Top Bottom