How do you know??

I have just one egg each time, same egg, that feels just as rough as can be. Do you guys think that’s a concern,
I can't say if it's a concern, but:
I have a 47 month old Golden Comet that lays a rough textured egg, very little bloom, always been. She recently resumed laying after winter break.
Here's her 1st and 2nd egg this year.
20200225_125032_resized.jpg
20200227_090439_resized.jpg
If you zoom in you can see the texture. I ate her first egg and it was delicious. GC

I only know some of mine because they are different. Thestrel was my first EE to lay and her eggs are green. The other two took longer to lay. Dottie's blue green egg, we knew was hers, because she was in the wrong pen one day, and laid. She was the only EE in there. Teach, by default lays the large tan egg. The two Welsummers were in different pens. Both lay dark brown, but Brownies have speckles and Chocolates eggs are dull/matte with smaller dull freckles. Only one Marans and she's a new layer. The two Buttercups are the only white layers, but we have no idea which one is laying the torpedo eggs. Kole and Scaredy Cat both lay bantam deep sage eggs, but no idea who's is who's, I can't tell them apart (Bantam EEs). The rest that are laying are bantams. All we know is the littlest one are from OEGB, the rest are from Cochins, d'Uccles, a seabright and a rosecomb.

What breed is in your cover picture and what do her eggs look like? She's lovely.😊
It's an old picture of my ancona actually lol after her molt last fall she gained more white, even prettier to my eyes. If I can ever find someone nearish me or willing to ship hatching eggs, I'll be adding more anconas for sure

They get whiter as they age. The 2 I had moulted in an interesting way, they slowly blew all their tail feathers but never really got ragged anywhere else.

They get whiter as they age. The 2 I had moulted in an interesting way, they slowly blew all their tail feathers but never really got ragged anywhere else.
I thought as much. My speckled Sussex did as well, but I knew she would; it's talked about basically everywhere a breed description can be found. I didn't realize anconas did beforehand, but I'm assuming it's the same gene just on a different base colored bird. Clearly I don't mind; the two of them are both favorites of mine both personality wise and aesthetically lol

I have 2 Exchequer leghorns, they look a lot like Anconas. One is still more black than white but the other is far more white than black after her first adult moult. The Anconas slowly got a bit more white as they aged but always more black than white.

Back
Top Bottom