How do you know...

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Sequin, Jul 10, 2010.

1. Sequin

Sequin Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2008
    ...if your chick is growing up to be rumpless? Where does that gene come from? Do you have to have at least one parent that is rumpless to produce it? The reason I ask is because I have a group of chicks that is at least 4 weeks old, and 4 of the 6 don't have any tail feathers, and what is there is short, but not the typical shape/style of a tail. So at first I was thinking they would be roos, only there is one roo in there that has a tail(actually it feathered out Really fast) and a prominent and reddening comb. These others do not really have nearly the color or size in the comb; so, is it possible they could be rumpless pullets? I will take some pictures of them today and post them. They are really sweet, and cute. I am assuming they are out of an SS roo and BO or RSL hens. All of my roos and hens have full tails. One other trait I noticed, is that some of them are horrifically SLOW at feathering out - and still have downy backs... at 4+ weeks?? Is this really normal???

p.s. I am going out today to take pictures, and will have them up as soon as I can.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2010
  2. High Roost Ranch

High Roost Ranch The Chicken Whisperer

True rumpless are missing the entire tail bed, that little triangular fleshy piece that juts out from the back end. If you know what to feel for, you can usually tell on chicks if they are rumpless or not.

3. Sequin

May 20, 2008
    Thanks so much! I will go and check it out. Here are some pictures I took of them...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    They certainly do look to be rumpless--are you sure an araucana rooster didn't get to your hens? The hen in the 3rd picture looks ill.

5. Sequin

May 20, 2008
    I don't have any Arucauna, though it could have been part of the EE roo's heritage I guess, though fairly certain a SS was the daddy of these babies. When dealing with hatchery stock, sometimes it could be anyone's guess I suppose. These chicks are just 4 weeks, maybe 5, and I am sure that no one is sick, he/she runs and plays with all the others and is just as alert and curious - she/he was just getting ready for a siesta, as it was heading towards evening time. I have never had a chicken that was rumpless, is it a recessive gene?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by