How do you know????

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by dandydoodle, Oct 6, 2011.

1. dandydoodle

dandydoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 21, 2010
    georgia
    How do you know who is the lead rooster. The one I think is the leader walks around and doesn't mess with anyone much. He tried to bite me last week though. I think I have seen him do one or two dances toward the other roo. Okay now the other roo I have seems to stay out of rooster number ones way alot but, he puffs up all the time and dances toward the ladies and to me. Is he trying to stay as number two or what is he doing? There are two boys in there and three girls. If anyone can help me that would be great I am kind of new to chickens and definitely new to having roos. They are about 5 and 6 months old and I am trying to figure out what all this behavior means.

thanks,
    MIchelle [​IMG]

2. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

The wing drop and dancing is a mating ritual. That they are doing for you is NOT a good sign. Coupled with his biting you spells difficulties. Roosters can be wonderful but they can also draw blood and leave serious scars and little children are especially vulnerable.

It is past time to take control and show dominance over those roos. If not, there's trouble ahead. There are lots of threads here on subduing a rooster. Some folks fail and those roos go straight to freezer camp, as they should.

3. dandydoodle

Sep 21, 2010
    georgia
    The roo that bit me and the roo that puffs up and dances are two different roos. So the one that puffs and dances is flirting with me??? Why is that a bad thing will more bad behavior follow? He has never bit or flogged. Is puffing up flirting two or is that something else? Should I pin him for dancing and puffing? I usually just pick him up and parade him around and pet him and that usually ends it.

The roo that bit me only did it twice. I pinned him the last time and he hasn't done it since. Could that be the end of it?

Can you tell by what I described earlier who is the dominant roo?

Sorry If this is confusing, kind of hard to describe. [​IMG]

Thanks,
    Michelle

4. dandydoodle

Sep 21, 2010
    georgia
    Does anyone know?

Last edited: Oct 7, 2011
  5. dandydoodle

Sep 21, 2010
    georgia
    I figured I would try one more time. Does anyone the answers?

6. the Pollo Loco

the Pollo Loco Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2009
    Santa Cruz,CA
    with time you will see who the alpha roo is... I had a mean one who needed to go to freezer camp, that left me with the lonely, timid roo who then became the lead roo, who is a very friendly roo... [​IMG]

7. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

You might also consider that your roo to hen ratio is going to spell trouble for your hens and soon you will see bare backs and possibly interrupted laying due to increased roo action. I'd lose one or both roos unless you plan to hatch little ones, then keep the best looking/most mannerly roo.

From your description it is difficult to tell which roo is dominant and they are both young yet to have it figured out...but they will soon and you will definitely know who is top roo when it's all said and done. The roo that is running from the other one all the time is the underdog. [​IMG]

8. TroutsChicks

TroutsChicks Fluffy Stuffins

Jun 5, 2011
    baxter Tn
    watch to see which one is mating the girls. I also have 2 roos and ones the boss and the others a sweet boy. I can rub his wattles and sweet talk him, the other I cant touch until he's on the roost. Now jack who's the boss will mate the girls ( he fails alot ) and if he catches the other one he will kick his butt. when jack mates the girls the other one just stands there. The lesser one mates the girls more then jack does, just behind his back. Sometimes he gets caught and jack chases him around. Roosters are great...but they are just strange!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by