How do you like your beans?

Jane Jill Jack

Chirping
9 Years
Nov 8, 2010
Very soon we are going to have a bounty of beans, judging from all the flowers, both Purple Podded Pole and Garden of Eve. I don't particularly enjoy them, but could not resist planting more than we usually eat, like the reat of my garden.
tongue.png
My mom uses them in stir fries, soups, and sometimes we just eat them fresh, but was wondering if somebody has other suggestions for tasty dishes.
fl.gif

I like to simmer them with small potatoes until tender and then add some crispy cooked bacon for a little more flavor. Yum!!!

See KristyHall? Other people use bacon to cook their beans. She and I sniped at each other in the grocery store in Iowa over this very thing. I'm sure our friend thought we were crazy.

chili, beans and rice, any number for bean soups, baked beans... shrimp, shrimp cocktail, shrimp scampi.... oh, wrong channel.

Purple Podded Pole is best as a green bean, so I usually like mine fried in grease or butter.
smile.png
Personally I think they're delicious without anything else added, just fried as is!

I fry bacon in the iron skillet then crumble it while still in the skillet. I fill the skillet with the beans, and add water and salt. Cook the water out of the beans, adding more water until they are done. By then, they are greasy, salty, black, and DELISH! Only you can't cook any more than 239.

Thank you for all your replies. I'll have to try all of those ideas, frying them and adding bacon actually sounds quite good.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom