Something is destroying my pole beans

Sammster

Crowing
Jul 31, 2021
SE Michigan
It's so frustrating. Every day I go out and see more dead pole beans. They've just started budding. Leaves completely stripped. Some stems bitten off near the ground. Most damage is near the ground, but not all. I started looking more closely, and found cucumber beetles in the garden. Do they eat bean plants? Do they prefer them to cucumbers? My cucumbers are doing OK, so far. I read that all you should do is remove the beetles by hand? My DH recommends soap spray. I read that beneficial nematodes may help? Would they permeate garden cloth to reach the soil? My peas are all getting destroyed, too. I've seen some birds pecking at the plants (not so much the pods), but lots of damage near the ground, like the beans. This is frustrating! Even my zinnias and sunflowers are seeing pest damage. And the potato plants, too. 🙁 My zuchini have no fruit, yet. I think I might see a couple, miniature zucchini "buds" starting. Hopefully, they will successfully pollinate.
Peppers are looking ok. Tomatoes look good. Any pearls of wisdom for me?

Sounds like it could be a bunny. They will strip the bottom leaves where they can reach, and sometimes bite the stem. One bunny wiped out two rows of peas last spring, then came back toward the end of bean season and finished mine off for me. It ignored every other vegetable in my garden, only wanted peas and beans. A two-foot high chicken wire fence around them will do the trick if you do in fact have a bunny visitor.

Sounds like it could be a bunny. They will strip the bottom leaves where they can reach, and sometimes bite the stem. One bunny wiped out two rows of peas last spring, then came back toward the end of bean season and finished mine off for me. It ignored every other vegetable in my garden, only wanted peas and beans. A two-foot high chicken wire fence around them will do the trick if you do in fact have a bunny visitor.
I wondered. We have chain link around the garden, but it may be a small bunny. Those buggers. Can squeeze in tight spots. I'll get some chicken wire. It'll be a little tricky to install, but I'll figure it out. I want to start over with my peas and beans

Can deer access the beans? They like to chomp on a lot of different plants.

Small holes in the leaves, or skeletonized leaves, could be Japanese Beetle damage.

Please, post pictures!
I did take some pictures. It's hard to see, but I'll post. No deer, but maybe a bunny.

I do have some small holes, too. But mostly - missing leaves

I wondered. We have chain link around the garden, but it may be a small bunny. Those buggers. Can squeeze in tight spots. I'll get some chicken wire. It'll be a little tricky to install, but I'll figure it out. I want to start over with my peas and beans
They’ll squeeze under in small spaces, too. I used to not let my dogs chase them, but after last year they are allowed to patrol and chase. One has a window seat and will let me know when he needs to “protect the yard”. 😂

That's exactly what happened to my peas and beans! They also sleep in my strawberry beds and smash the plants. They can easily go through my fence by digging a hole under it.

When they get their tummy full they stretch out by my window to laugh at me! #@%&# :rolleyes:
VideoCapture_20230609-175152.jpg

Back
Top Bottom