Bush beans and pole beans question?

I've read that as long as you keep the bean picked, the bush will keep flowering and producing. To anthropomorphize: to the bean plant, it hasn't fulfilled its main objective of reproduction, if it hasn't made viable bean seeds. So if you keep picking the beans, it keeps making more.

I've read that as long as you keep the bean picked, the bush will keep flowering and producing. To anthropomorphize: to the bean plant, it hasn't fulfilled its main objective of reproduction, if it hasn't made viable bean seeds. So if you keep picking the beans, it keeps making more.
Just like the Cucumber that ripened, that you missed that kills the vine. A plant is programmed to reproduce. As for beans & cukes the beatles can introduce disease without using a Biofungicide to keep them healthy.

Some varieties of bush beans have been bred to crop a large harvest all at once for canners and will start to die out after the first picking or two. A few varieties will continue to produce longer if kept well picked. The older varieties tend to produce longer. A few old names will pick for a month or six weeks for me. I replant in succession several times. Pole beans are the best bet for a long picking window and sometimes till frost if well cared for and watered as needed. In zone 7b that can easily be four or five months of picking beans. The bugs or draught can knock them back quick and to pick till frost requires some attention and maybe some luck some years. Finding the bean you love that will produce all season is a never ending quest for me. My curious nature makes me keep trying new types. Some I have tried are so good they are worth a shorter harvest time and less total yield. I also grow a pole drying bean that does not yield for long but is worth it for the creamy good taste once cooked. Beans are wonderful and varied plants that you can grow a couple new varieties every year of your life!

Not sure if someone answered the nitrogen question you had-
The beans will start right away and will produce nitrogen rich nodes on their roots. You have to leave the roots in ground to get any benefit, so no pulling plants if you want that benefit!
If you want to replant in the spot, just cut the above ground portion of the plant.

I personally love growing both bush and pole beans. I slightly prefer bush for not needing a trellis, but will absolutely continue with both styles. Right now I have pigeon peas, soy, black, and winged beans growing in my various beds!

I think it varies by species, as my winged beans will push out new blossoms as others are maturing on the plant. Its great to see all of nature's variety!

The beans will start right away and will produce nitrogen rich nodes on their roots. You have to leave the roots in ground to get any benefit, so no pulling plants if you want that benefit!
If you want to replant in the spot, just cut the above ground portion of the plant.
Very interesting! I've seen the little nodules on the roots before.

Do you recommend leaving the roots at the end of the season and letting them sit in the ground? I've been pulling up the plants and spreading them out to sit and rot over the winter.

Very interesting! I've seen the little nodules on the roots before.

Do you recommend leaving the roots at the end of the season and letting them sit in the ground? I've been pulling up the plants and spreading them out to sit and rot over the winter.
Pulling them up makes the bulk of the nitrogen go where you place it. So with you putting it back on your bed, it just makes it less deep into the soil. Still there. I would recommend just chop and dropping the top and leaving the roots to rot in place, keeping the nitrogen nodules in the soil for the next plant to find!

Pulling them up makes the bulk of the nitrogen go where you place it. So with you putting it back on your bed, it just makes it less deep into the soil. Still there. I would recommend just chop and dropping the top and leaving the roots to rot in place, keeping the nitrogen nodules in the soil for the next plant to find!
So right! I just mow the bean plants and till it all in! It is a good idea to move your bean plantings regularly to avoid problems with following bean crops and to spread their benefits around your gardens. I often plant a newly broken garden entirely with beans the first planting.

Back
Top Bottom