Bush beans and pole beans question?

Pics
I'm in zone 5. I LOVE my scarlet runner beans. They are striking to look at, I can tuck them in wherever I have support for them to climb,, and they draw the pollinators in. They have a long flat bean that is nutty and mild when young and raw. I stop eating them fresh once the beans get firm, as they are tough and bitter then. But the vines are constantly putting out new beans all summer. After the fall, you can harvest the dried beans and use them in cooking.

I just planted a bunch of scarlet runners and hope to see them take over part of this trellis I just added. Between that and the cucumbers and squash I can't wait to see these covered in full blooms in a few months! I am growing everything vertically this year, even my watermelons. Trying to cram in as many plants as I can this year to preserve what I can for winter and early spring next year. I tend to run out of my stocked produce by this time of year and don't like to buy produce from the store if I don't have to.

Attachments

• 20240304_111005.jpg
    20240304_111005.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 2
I’ve done (small) watermelon, and up to sugar pie sized pumpkin on “trellises” before- worked great!
You may end up having to figure out a way to “lash” on some sort of “sling” at the very end if you are working w bigger melons- and I look forward to hearing about the results in a couple of months!! 🥰

I’ve done (small) watermelon, and up to sugar pie sized pumpkin on “trellises” before- worked great!
You may end up having to figure out a way to “lash” on some sort of “sling” at the very end if you are working w bigger melons- and I look forward to hearing about the results in a couple of months!! 🥰
I've used stockings for hammocks. You can get ladies stocking on Amazon super cheap.

I just planted a bunch of scarlet runners and hope to see them take over part of this trellis I just added. Between that and the cucumbers and squash I can't wait to see these covered in full blooms in a few months! I am growing everything vertically this year, even my watermelons. Trying to cram in as many plants as I can this year to preserve what I can for winter and early spring next year. I tend to run out of my stocked produce by this time of year and don't like to buy produce from the store if I don't have to.
Are you planning to eat them green, or let them mature on the vine and collect the beans? I grew these last year, and didn't care for the fuzzy texture of the pods, so I let them mature and dried the beans. Beautiful beans! I've not cooked any, yet, too know how they taste.

Back
Top Bottom