How do you make a poop board?

kathyinmo

Nothing In Moderation
12 Years
May 14, 2009
(SW MO) Nevada, Missouri
My Coop
My Coop
Newbie here.. OK, We have the coop built. We live in southwest Missouri. We have 2 week old chicks (44, so far). We thought we could handle more?? Anyway, It is 12 ft (sides) x 16 ft. (nearly 200 square feet). It has a "shed," type roof (front high, back low) 8 ft front, 6 ft back wall. Metal roof, over OSB. We have 2 windows on the (west) back wall, and the front is 4 ft opening for the door (not done yet), and a large window. On the sides (north and south) we left the top triangular area (where the 8 ft goes down to the 6 ft) open, covered with chicken wire), for ventilation. No plan to cover these vents, even in winter. We used OSB, and have covered it all (inside and out, floors and walls) in oil based glossy porch paint, as recomended on another thread. No insulation and no inside walls, just lots of paint. My questions are: Plan is to build the nests on one of the 12 ft side walls. How many and what size? How about bookshelf looking nests, 3 high? No nests open to the outside. Is it wise to have the roosts along the back wall (3 - 16 ft long roosts made of 2x4s, about 16 inches apart??)? All 3 same height? How would we do a poop board? I don't understand how that works. Is it a board on the floor, or elevated and close to the roosts? Is it a board covered with linoleum or tin or what? If it is 16 foot long, how could I move it? No electricity, as it is quite aways away from the source. Also want to have a storage area for supplies on one side, should it be a room, or just a big box with sloping lid? Do we need to cut out little "chicken doors?" Can I use sand on the floor, or only pine chips? Is sand only for older chickens, or what age chicks? We will have a very large (huge) outside run. Please advise. Any suggestions welcome! Thanks in advance.

I'm kind of in your boat. I have chicks now, but I've been reading a lot.

You should plan 4 hens per nest. A good size is 14" tall, 14" wide & 12" deep. Make sure there is a perch in front so the hen can look in there to see whether someone is already in the nest.

Roosts should probably be staggered. One at 2', one at 4' and one at 6' or something like that. If you do them all the same height, make sure they aren't too high for them to fly up there. Mine are 2x4s - I did two 8 feet long - one is at 4 feet & the other is at 2. The one at 2 feet has a small section in the middle where it has a step up to 3 feet. This way, even the young birds can get up there. I also put them on the back wall, mainly because I don't want to have to step in chicken manure to fetch eggs.

Don't know about the poop board, but I am also curious what others are doing.

Regarding the pop (chicken) door, it is convenient for them to be able to go in an out of the coop on their own. We cut one out in the wall of our coop and it goes directly to the run, which is totally enclosed (top too). They are free to go in an out as they choose and I don't seal it up at night.

On the floor, I started with pine chips, but they are expensive. I am using hay also. If you are not going to insulate, I would suggest using some type of litter (not just sand) and doing the deep litter method.

Hope this helps!

My droppings board is made of OSB painted with barn paint. The roosts are unpainted 2x2s, 4 feet long (four of them). All the roosts are the same height, 4 feet high with a ramp leading up to them. Below the roosts is chicken wire to keep the birds out of the droppings. The droppings board is covered with self-stick vinyl tile squares. This makes for quick clean up. Part of the droppings board also becomes the roof of the nest boxes so the birds can't just mess in them while sitting around.

Maybe what I did will give you some ideas on how to make yours.

Der Alte

Cut a piece of OSB or plywood then go to your local thrift store that sells housing/building supplies get a piece of linoleum to cover it with. Makes cleaning much easier. If you wanted you could then buy some 1x2's, turn the 1x2's on their side and space them every inch apart and screw them them into place using flat 1x2 on each end. Put this a few inches above your droppings board. This will keep your chickens out of their poo and make them cleaner, healthier chickens.

Last edited:
You may be wondering - like I did, a few days ago - why everyone is using big ol' pieces of lumber for their poop board. I thought, "Why, I have the perfect thing! A flimsy plastic seedling tray! It will fit well, and be easy to wash, and lightweight so that I can pick it up easily!"

What happens if you do this is, the chickens jump onto the edge of the seedling tray, and flip it up, and fling poop everywhere, and scare the dickens out of themselves in the process. So you'll want to use something heavy - like a big ol' piece of lumber - like everyone else does.

Just throwing that out there!

Now, off to find a big ol' piece of lumber...

Now, do I have this right.... See, my roosts will be 16 feet long. So, under the 4 ft high roosts (about 12 " beneath) I make a shelf like area to hold a vinyl covered (or tin) board. Then the area beneath this shelf will still be open area for the chickens. But, how will I be able to move a 16 ft long thing to clean it? I know, I am an idiot. Please pacify me, and paint me a picture of specifics. Thanks so much for all the help.

I have no poop boards yet either. Not everyone is roosing yet. But I could really use a picture. I guess I am not imagining this right. I need a picture to help.

For those as want a pic of a droppings board for a single roost, check out the pic of my sussexes on my personal page (link at left under my name), it shows one of my droppings boards. (The nestboxes were pushed back a little further under it after the pic was take, btw)

But there are a lot of different ways to do it.

Pat

Back
Top Bottom