How do you "make" blue partridge?

Goose and Fig

Grateful Geese
10 Years
Apr 19, 2009
Fall Creek Falls TN
I haven't been able to get this out of my head since someone posted pics of blue partridge brahmas yesterday. So- what colors do you need to cross, and how many generations until you have blue partridge offsping? I'm assuming it works like other BBS and you will get some regular partridge and possibly splash partridge (OMG I'd LOVE to see THAT!)?

Anyway- wondering if I can ever get there using a splash or blue bird and partridge ones. I have lots of colors to work with, but I'm looking to use only single combed breeds.

I played with this color on the color genitcs chart awhile back. If I remember right it took 3 generations to do it. Using 1 partidge and one blue. You would get offspring in black and partridge and if I remember right ( it was over a year ago) if you bred the partridge offspring back to blue that would get you first gen. But it might have been different breeding as black to partridge bother to sister. I can not remeber to well on that part.

Quote:
Were you thinking of blue partridge rocks? Oh that would be awesome.

How would blue copper work as opposed to blue? I didn't even think that if I used a splash I'd just get all blues
roll.png
Duh.

Happy~

I would think that the Blue Copper may leave you with some red/gold/copper leakage to breed out, unless its what you want, and is this a Blue Copper Marans you are thinking of using? What breed would you be crossing it to?
smile.png

Last edited:
LOL,
So you have to have some of that Blue Partridge "Yard Candy" running you land?

OK I think I have this right, You want Blue Partridge in a single combed breed, right?

Step - 1
If you breed a Black Partridge ("Regular Partridge") Rooster to a Blue ("Andalusian Blue") Hen you should get -
Blue, Black, Black Partridge and Blue Partridge offspring.

Step - 2
Take the Blue Partridge pullets and cross them back to the father (the Black Partridge rooster) then you should get -
Black Partridge and Blue Partridge offspring.

Now if you want you can also -

Step - 1
If you breed a Black Partridge ("Regular Partridge") Rooster to a Blue ("Andalusian Blue") Hen you should get -
Blue, Black, Black Partridge and Blue Partridge offspring.

Step - 2
Take the best Blue Partridge cockerel from step 1 cross and cross him to the Blue Partridge pullets from step 1 cross and you should get -
Splash (A Pyle pattern), Blue Partridge and Black Partridge.

Chris

Quote:
How long will it take to get the partridge pattern correct? Is it like everything else considered in breeding and can take several generations...surely a person wouldn't get the correct pattern with the first cross right?

Quote:
How long will it take to get the partridge pattern correct? Is it like everything else considered in breeding and can take several generations...surely a person wouldn't get the correct pattern with the first cross right?

I'm not to sure how long it would take to "perfect" the Blue Partridge pattern but a lot will have to go by how many bird you are going to start with, how many you are going to hatch and how good that parent stock is.

I would think that if you start out with good parent stock and hatched all the eggs you can you may get good Blue Partridge pattern 4 or 5 generations.
In theory all your doing is replacing the Black with Blue just like in any other Blue/ Black cross.

Chris

Another option would be to use blue laced red and partridge parents. Both are e b based birds, could be getting close by F2. Find a single comb wyandotte and partridge rock to simplify the comb issue.

24364_chickens_mostly_177_2.jpg

Quote:
That's the one color I don't have on hand. May get a couple chicks this week, but that will put me months behind. I'm looking to try something with my welsummers, but I guess I'd need a blue marans to keep the egg color good, and I only have a splash at this time. Maybe I'll try it with a wellie roo, blue copper marans hen and a blue orp hen, and see what we get.
big_smile.png

Love your brahmas Big Medicine! We accidentally made blue coppers in f1s trying for blues.

Back
Top Bottom