How do you make cornish crosses?

DUCKGIRL89

Songster
8 Years
Apr 28, 2011
TN
What breeds of chickens do you need to breed together, to make cornish rock crosses? I want to buy a few chickens from a hatchery next spring, but I want to breed tuem to make cornish rocks crosses. Is ot white rocks, and white cornish? Does the cornish need to be the rooster, and do the rocks need to be the hens? Does it matter? Thanks!

you can't breed them, the parent stocks are not just a breed, more importantly a strain that is being selectively bred for more than 50 years. You can cross a DP breed with a cornish and still get decent meat birds.

Last edited:
Quote:
You will not get the same chicken if you try to breed it yourself.. These birds are a hybrid and are bred 4 ways to get the fast growing cornish x... Most people are raising fast growing DP birds if you want something you can breed.. I personally am going to try the Delawares soon, which is a Barred Rock roo over a New hampshire red hen.. Another fast grower is the Turken, and these guys get pretty big too.. Good luck..

Quote:
You will not get the same chicken if you try to breed it yourself.. These birds are a hybrid and are bred 4 ways to get the fast growing cornish x... Most people are raising fast growing DP birds if you want something you can breed.. I personally am going to try the Delawares soon, which is a Barred Rock roo over a New hampshire red hen.. Another fast grower is the Turken, and these guys get pretty big too.. Good luck..

A Delaware is a BR over a NH? No. A Delaware is a Delaware.

Hi DUCKGIRL89, you won't get a bird that grows anywhere near as fast or as heavy as a commercial meat bird.

The commercial birds have been bred for fast growth and high feed-to-meat conversion (with hardiness, foraging ability and longevity falling by the wayside) for a long time. You won't get anywhere near those characteristics no matter what you cross from the non-commercial genepool.

However a Cornish x anything else is usually a pretty decent table prospect. It's well worth doing.

cheers
Erica

Fred's Hens :

Quote:

A Delaware is a BR over a NH? No. A Delaware is a Delaware.​

Really you might wanna do your research before you start running your mouth..... http://www.mcmurrayhatchery.com/delaware.html
Or from Wikipedia:

"History - In the early 20th century, crosses of Barred Plymouth Rock roosters on New Hampshire hens was a common choice for producing broilers. Occasionally, this mating produces sports with light coloration. By breeding these white (genetically silver) sports intentionally, George Ellis of Delaware created the breed in 1940. He first chose to call them Indian Rivers, but later the name was switched to match its state of origin. At the time, the Delmarva Peninsula, where the breed was created, supplied chicken to the entirety of the East Coast of the United States through companies such as Perdue Farms.[5] The Delaware rapidly became the premiere broiler fowl in use in the region,[2] thus affecting the industry at large.[4] In 1952, it was recognized for exhibition by acceptance in to the American Poultry Association's Standard of Perfection.[5]"

Have a nice day.

Quote:
A Delaware is a BR over a NH? No. A Delaware is a Delaware.

Really you might wanna do your research before you start running your mouth..... http://www.mcmurrayhatchery.com/delaware.html
Or from Wikipedia:

"History - In the early 20th century, crosses of Barred Plymouth Rock roosters on New Hampshire hens was a common choice for producing broilers. Occasionally, this mating produces sports with light coloration. By breeding these white (genetically silver) sports intentionally, George Ellis of Delaware created the breed in 1940. He first chose to call them Indian Rivers, but later the name was switched to match its state of origin. At the time, the Delmarva Peninsula, where the breed was created, supplied chicken to the entirety of the East Coast of the United States through companies such as Perdue Farms.[5] The Delaware rapidly became the premiere broiler fowl in use in the region,[2] thus affecting the industry at large.[4] In 1952, it was recognized for exhibition by acceptance in to the American Poultry Association's Standard of Perfection.[5]"

Have a nice day.

Ah, yes. The history, not a cross of current birds. I misunderstood.

My deepest and sincerest apologies.

jessicayarno
smile.png
she was just missunderstood
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom