How do you make cornish crosses?

Because the Cornish Cross does not come from two parents that are stocky and fast growing. One grandparent might have concentrated genes for fast growing, one grandparent might be large breasted, one grandparent might be white, and the 4th might be very calm. Their grandchildren hatch large breasted, fast growing, white, and calm. But breed the grandchildren together and you might get black color gene from the large breasted grandparent, slow growth from the calm grandparent, a scrawny breast gene from the white grandparent.......

And maybe if you breed two small dogs together, you might get a small dog. But maybe not. If one of those small dogs had a parent who is a Labrador and a parent who is a chihuahua, it might be small itself but it might have puppies who grow as large as a Labrador.

And you certainly can't breed a chihuahua to a Pomeranian and end up with a Papillon.

from what i heard a Cx is produced as a 3rd genereation bird

the 1 males and 2 females

breed them together to get chicks

F1[1] bred against F1[2] then those chicks are bred back to

F2[1] bred gainst garandparents 1

and F2[2] bred against grandparents 2

[[[[[.......You breed a stocky muscled horse to a stocky muscled horse and you get a ...stocky muscled horse......]]]]]

Not necessarily. You can take two quarabs that are stocky like the quarter horse parent, and breed them together and get a colt that is slim and scrawny like the 2 Arab grandparents.

If you breed two purebred bulldog Quarter horses together, you will probably get a stocky colt. However, notice that those are purebreds. The reason for purebreds is that you know about what you will get when you breed them. You won't get a Percheron if you breed two purebred Quarter Horses together. You will always get a quarter horse.

However, here is the big however, Cornish Cross are not purebred chickens.

BINGO. You said cornish cross are not purebred chickens. And neither were chihuahuas, quarter horses, percherons or any other animal at the start of their breeds. So does that make you ponder?

nothing is pure bred till its recognised as a standard

Dogs would be a form of Mutt no matter what you say as they where bred from wild dogs and domesticated

from there selective breeding was formed to make cetain breeds that are recognised

in the poulty world again no chicken is pure bred

all chicken can be linked back to the one and only Jungle Fowl

selective breeding them is what produced certain TRAITS and these traits converted into them being seen as a breed and then STANDARDISED

Me persoanlly i want to breed MARBARS no such chicken and never heard of MARANS X BPR and after a few years of refining it i will submit it to teh breed of excellence to be a recognised breed and untill that day comes it will alwasy be seen as a mutt chicken

Last edited:
does anyone understand hybrid vigor?

it doesn't matter of cx are 'purebred or not'. they do not breed true-- you can get any level of bird from each of the 4 grandparent lines. read my byc page.

To establish a new breed-- you must take animals with certain desirable charactoristics- and LINEBREED them for many generations to ESTABLISH a true consistant breeding program using the keep/ cull method.

Look at it like this:

take a black bull and breed it to a red cow- yeild-- 100% black calves if the bull was pure for black color-- b/c black is dominate over red.

Now, but that bull is not homo black- he's hetero-- so your chances of black calves - is now only 50%, and red is the other 50.

But, take two black hetero cattle and breed them together-- 1/4 of the offspring will be black homo, 1/4 will be red- and `/2 will be black, but hetero.

Now throw in another gene like horned. The two punnet square method is like this.
B= Black (dom)
b= red (rec)
H= polled (dom)
h= horned (rec)

B b H h
B BB Bb bH Bh
b Bb bb bh bh
H BH bH HH Hh
h Bh bh Hh hh

So in this example you will have:

black horned (but can be hetero for black- meaning 2 different genotypes (BBhh or Bbhh)
red horned (all bbhh)
black polled (but can be hetero for both)-- meaning 4 different genotypes (BBHH, BbHH, BBHh, BbHh)
red polled (but can be hetero for horns- meaning 2 different genotypes (bbHH, bbHh)

so right there- even though you bred two black polled cattle-- you can get 7 different genotypes from their offspring.

now throw in 4 traits-- which is the case of the CX bird-- and your possiblities are endless.

Last edited:
Fred's Hens :

A Delaware is a BR over a NH? No. A Delaware is a Delaware.

Really you might wanna do your research before you start running your mouth..... http://www.mcmurrayhatchery.com/delaware.html
Or from Wikipedia:

"History - In the early 20th century, crosses of Barred Plymouth Rock roosters on New Hampshire hens was a common choice for producing broilers. Occasionally, this mating produces sports with light coloration. By breeding these white (genetically silver) sports intentionally, George Ellis of Delaware created the breed in 1940. He first chose to call them Indian Rivers, but later the name was switched to match its state of origin. At the time, the Delmarva Peninsula, where the breed was created, supplied chicken to the entirety of the East Coast of the United States through companies such as Perdue Farms.[5] The Delaware rapidly became the premiere broiler fowl in use in the region,[2] thus affecting the industry at large.[4] In 1952, it was recognized for exhibition by acceptance in to the American Poultry Association's Standard of Perfection.[5]"

Have a nice day.​
The first Delaware was a sport, a genetic accident, which was produced about 1940. Today a Delaware is a breed of chicken and you get Delaware chicks by breeding Delaware to Delaware.

A Barred Rock x New Hampshire will produce a sex link chick, meaning the chicks can be sexed at birth based on color. The chances of the Delaware color pattern appearing a second time from this cross are extremely low.

The first Delaware was a sport, a genetic accident, which was produced about 1940. Today a Delaware is a breed of chicken and you get Delaware chicks by breeding Delaware to Delaware.

A Barred Rock x New Hampshire will produce a sex link chick, meaning the chicks can be sexed at birth based on color. The chances of the Delaware color pattern appearing a second time from this cross are extremely low.

I don't think a barred rock over a new Hampshire produces sex links,I'm pretty sure it only works with the NH over the BR. When ever you breed any thing that is multiple "F" generations together you get a mix of every thing that went into breeding and every combination of went into the lines to produce a particular STRAIN. it would take many generations of selective breeding and culling to come up with any thing comparable to the commercial CX,also remember that if people could make there own broilers then there wouldn't be a need for giant broiler corps. and they arnt gonna have that! So,they intentionally breed these birds this way so you have to either buy parent stock(which they don't just sell to anybody) or buy their chicks. that being said there is alot of information on here about breeding meat birds so do a little reading and then I say go for it,any thing you come up with will taste good.

There are some people out there saying that a Cornish over a Delaware can produce good results but like any meat bird project it takes generations and a lot of culling and selecting. I can't remember where it was but I read that in only 4 generations the results were great but sill needed some improvement. It was also said that they were incredibly good at pasture/free ranging. I will try to find a link and post it.

I know that when I do a meatie project I am going to use a Delaware for one parent. I haven't decided on the other parent. One problem is that delawares carry a barring gene and that will have to be culled out, along with other traits from all grandparent and parent stock.

Back
Top Bottom