How do you make nesting box curtains?

Sunny-Side Up

Turn towards the sun & the shadows fall behind you
May 1, 2017
Happy Memorial Day everyone!
I have 7 hens that are going to start laying in about three weeks. I've had the nesting boxes blocked off so they wouldn't learn to sleep in them (I had problems with that last flock), and now they're starting to sleep on the roost, which is good. I've heard about making curtains for the nesting boxes to encourage laying in them and discourage sleeping in them. How do you do that? Do you have any pictures or tips if you have curtains? Also, I want to make sure that whatever I do, they won't make my chickens not want to lay in there. When should I remove the wood that's blocking the nesting boxes? My chickens are about 15 weeks old. Thanks!

My chicks are right behind yours-almost 13 weeks, so I’ve been looking at this too, looking forward to pics.

In general,I’ve seen several pics with a kitchen towel tacked up (top only) that hangs down infront of the opening, but does not completely cover it. I’ve seen cafe style curtains (the half size ones) hung and then gathered halfway down like you would do with a curtain tie-back. Some have just tacked up triangle shaped material. I’ve even seen thick/flexible vinyl tacked up to partially cover the sides/top of the opening. Of course, I’ve also seen a circle cut out of plywood which serves as the ledge to keep bedding in as well as privacy since the circle is smaller than the nest box.

Good luck!

My chicks are right behind yours-almost 13 weeks, so I’ve been looking at this too, looking forward to pics.

In general,I’ve seen several pics with a kitchen towel tacked up (top only) that hangs down infront of the opening, but does not completely cover it. I’ve seen cafe style curtains (the half size ones) hung and then gathered halfway down like you would do with a curtain tie-back. Some have just tacked up triangle shaped material. I’ve even seen thick/flexible vinyl tacked up to partially cover the sides/top of the opening. Of course, I’ve also seen a circle cut out of plywood which serves as the ledge to keep bedding in as well as privacy since the circle is smaller than the nest box.

Good luck!
Thanks! That's really helpful!

Does anybody know when I should remove the wood that's blocking the nesting boxes?

I just
20171214_123150.jpg
20171214_123142.jpg
stapled mine up.

IMG_20180528_121752663.jpg
Would fabric like this work? I don't want the wood shavings to get stuck to it, or for it to be too bright for the chickens to want to lay there. Or maybe I'm just overthinking it...:rolleyes::idunno

I don't use nest box curtains, but I do use a curtain like divider on one roost to stop roost bullies. It's made from a feed bag. I don't think you should use that material w holes that a chicken could get a foot caught in. Sometimes they are flapping around in a scuffle and that could pose a hazard.

I made mine from some material I found at Hobby Lobby that does not unravel. Once chickens start to peck at something they won't stop. I used red on the outside and black on the inside. Mine like the privacy. If your roosts are higher than the nest box you don't need to cover it. When chicken math strikes you will have no layers with layers so no way to cover it.

nbmk3-08.jpg

JT

Back
Top Bottom