How do you make sure to rotate your eggs?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Needycowgirl, Aug 16, 2011.

1. Needycowgirl

Needycowgirl Out Of The Brooder

Feb 27, 2011
    Spokane Valley
    I am just curious how other people store and rotate their eggs.

Do you have special places in the fridge?
    Do you have boxes marked with date? By day, week, month?

Please share how you make sure to use the oldest first!

2. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    The sale eggs go on the top shelf of the fridge. Oldest are on the bottom, right hand side and those are the ones I reach for first when taking some out. Pull out what I need and shove the rest further to the right to take up the now empty space. The newest eggs always go on the top left side. I don't sell anything over a week old and seldom have any that reach that age before they ship out.

3. Love2Homeschool

Love2Homeschool Out Of The Brooder

Jul 1, 2011
    Texas
    You could also pencil the date on the egg.

4. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    I pencil the date on the egg, and the dates of the eggs (ex: 6/14 - 6/16) on the cartons. When I put a new carton in, it goes on the bottom, to the right. The oldest ones are on the left.

5. feathersnuggles

feathersnuggles Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2009
    Seattle
    In the fridge, the boxes are stacked from bottom to top, newest to oldest. That way, we are always grabbing the oldest box (on top) and eating those eggs first. We don't refrigerate the currently-being-filled box until it's full, and then it goes to the bottom of the fridge stack. If we sell or gift eggs to ppl, we choose a newer box from the bottom of the fridge stack.

6. Lisa202

Lisa202 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2010
    Long Island NY
    I took a shoe box and put in cardboard partitions, so I have 6 sections. I labeled one end "oldest eggs" and the opposite end "newest eggs". I have to frequently move eggs from one compartment to the other as I get more eggs, but I only get about 4 to 7 eggs a day, so this works for me for now until I think of something better.

7. Peep lePleaser

Peep lePleaser Out Of The Brooder

Aug 16, 2011
    pencil marking them does work best!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by