How do you make your run fun for your chickens?

I had my hubby throw in bags of cut grass last week during horribly hot day they stayed occupied for 2 days. Don't spread it just dump and let them go.
I give them piles of leaves when I rake in the fall. At first, it's "run away! run away!" Then a couple minutes later, they are scratching through them, with Snowbird making lots of tidbit sounds.
I've put cucumbers in a suet cage lately.
Oh, I forgot about my suet cage! Thanks for the reminder!

I give them piles of leaves when I rake in the fall. At first, it's "run away! run away!" Then a couple minutes later, they are scratching through them, with Snowbird making lots of tidbit sounds.

Oh, I forgot about my suet cage! Thanks for the reminder!
I hadn't thought of putting leaves in the run. I live in the middle of the woods so have lots of trees. Since about a fourth of them are wild magnolias, I can't use them in the compost. Are they a problem for the chickens? If not, I will throw those leaves right in the run and watch them have some fun

I hadn't thought of putting leaves in the run. I live in the middle of the woods so have lots of trees. Since about a fourth of them are wild magnolias, I can't use them in the compost. Are they a problem for the chickens? If not, I will throw those leaves right in the run and watch them have some fun
I don't know about magnolias. Why can't you use them in compost?

That said, leaves in general are an excellent, free resource for deep litter in the coop and/or run. The chickens will poop in it and scratch/mix it up for you. If exposed to water (generally run), then it will break down into an excellent compost for use in your garden. If kept dry (generally coop), then it will still be well broken down into smaller particles, but not fully composted by worms/bacteria.

Another benefit is that the high-carbon leaves do an excellent job of holding down odor from the high-nitrogen poo. With deep litter, I only change my litter twice/year and it then goes into my garden and/or under some bushes & trees as excellent organic compost. This last year, I produced enough extra to sell to my neighbor for her raised beds and she had her best garden year.

The leaves will release chemicals that slow growth or kill plants. They are allelopathic. You have to really break them up fine and use them sparingly.

I should have said you can't mulch them. You can compost them - but it takes longer because they are tough.
I don't know about magnolias. Why can't you use them in compost?

That said, leaves in general are an excellent, free resource for deep litter in the coop and/or run. The chickens will poop in it and scratch/mix it up for you. If exposed to water (generally run), then it will break down into an excellent compost for use in your garden. If kept dry (generally coop), then it will still be well broken down into smaller particles, but not fully composted by worms/bacteria.

Another benefit is that the high-carbon leaves do an excellent job of holding down odor from the high-nitrogen poo. With deep litter, I only change my litter twice/year and it then goes into my garden and/or under some bushes & trees as excellent organic compost. This last year, I produced enough extra to sell to my neighbor for her raised beds and she had her best garden year.

@TaylorGlade
Ah, didn't know that about magnolia, but I don't have to worry about it here. Black walnut is similarly allelopathic.
Yep. We don't have those. What I would love to have is a few pecans. My parents have some and I grew up eating them off the ground.

...and to answer my own question - yep. Magnolias are safe for chickens. Glad to know I finally have a use for all those fall leaves.

Back
Top Bottom