How do you make your run fun for your chickens?

Mine get excited if I just move something from one place to another
When I took down the dividing fence that separated the littles from the adults (see-no touch integration), I did it at night after everyone was closed in the coop.

Then I "rearranged the furniture" in the run by headlamp. That way, when I opened the coop the next morning, everything was different for everyone. The adults had to get used to the newness, so they were MUCH less interested in the chicks. The chicks suddenly had a lot more space they were very keen to explore.

While everyone was out wandering around, I took down the division in the coop so that all the space was open to all the chickens.

"Fun" helps chickens not be bored. Bored chickens find mischief. Often that means turning on each other.

When I took down the dividing fence that separated the littles from the adults (see-no touch integration), I did it at night after everyone was closed in the coop.

Then I "rearranged the furniture" in the run by headlamp. That way, when I opened the coop the next morning, everything was different for everyone. The adults had to get used to the newness, so they were MUCH less interested in the chicks. The chicks suddenly had a lot more space they were very keen to explore.

While everyone was out wandering around, I took down the division in the coop so that all the space was open to all the chickens.

"Fun" helps chickens not be bored. Bored chickens find mischief. Often that means turning on each other.
We are retired so spend a lot of time with our chickens. I believe we are their greatest entertainment. We have sturdy roosting rails. Sometimes we venture out, sit on the rails, and enjoy a morning cup of coffee. Wherever we go, they are right there.

We are retired so spend a lot of time with our chickens. I believe we are their greatest entertainment. We have sturdy roosting rails. Sometimes we venture out, sit on the rails, and enjoy a morning cup of coffee. Wherever we go, they are right there.
Excellent! :thumbsup

I like to sit in the run for a while in the afternoon. I have a couple that like to sit on my lap, and a couple more that will come up for treats.

I have a plastic chair in the coop. I turn it upside down when I'm not in there, sitting on it. This way, I have something clean to sit on! It also gives them something to go under (shade) or stand on.

I like stuff in the run that takes advantage of vertical space. I have some tables, a ramp, a barstool, and a log that is elevated on legs. They can be under or on any of these things. It doesn't make the run bigger, but it give the chickens more places to be.

I give them grass clipping and chopped straw to scratch in. Will also hang a tree branch in a hook. I have pots of cheap herbs that I will put in run in a rainy day. Lots of perches.

Attachments

• IMG_8993.jpeg
    IMG_8993.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 7
I found an old walker for $6 at a thrift store, didn't look reliable for a person to use safely any more but it's great in the run with a branch wired to the top of its frame and thick cardboard attached to its front legs for shade. Sunny days the girls like to hunker down behind it, and they love perching up high on the branch watching what-all's going on outside their fence.

They also love playing with plain old cardboard boxes, hopping on/inside them, scratching & pecking and eventually collapsing the whole box. They also hang out in and on top of the big dog crate/sin bin I keep in the run, top & sides covered in cardboard for shade and bowls of grit and oyster shell flakes on top for noshing. Lots of funky clutter? Yes, but the girls enjoy it! Not aspiring to any garden magazine spreads here. 😉☺️

I found an old walker for $6 at a thrift store, didn't look reliable for a person to use safely any more but it's great in the run with a branch wired to the top of its frame and thick cardboard attached to its front legs for shade. Sunny days the girls like to hunker down behind it, and they love perching up high on the branch watching what-all's going on outside their fence.

They also love playing with plain old cardboard boxes, hopping on/inside them, scratching & pecking and eventually collapsing the whole box. They also hang out in and on top of the big dog crate/sin bin I keep in the run, top & sides covered in cardboard for shade and bowls of grit and oyster shell flakes on top for noshing. Lots of funky clutter? Yes, but the girls enjoy it! Not aspiring to any garden magazine spreads here. 😉☺️
It sounds creative! If your girls are happy, who cares about Marha Stewart ;)

I had my hubby throw in bags of cut grass last week during horribly hot day they stayed occupied for 2 days. Don't spread it just dump and let them go. I have a small mirror, I hang cabbage sometimes or raw meat. I've put cucumbers in a suet cage lately. Lots of perches here and a stump.
They've never messed with xylophone.
Sometimes I move feed bowls or logs to expose bugs under them.
Last week when it was so hot I spray water til there's a puddle. Mine love wet mud! but NO WATER OR WADING! :wee:drool:idunno

I had my hubby throw in bags of cut grass last week during horribly hot day they stayed occupied for 2 days. Don't spread it just dump and let them go. I have a small mirror, I hang cabbage sometimes or raw meat. I've put cucumbers in a suet cage lately. Lots of perches here and a stump.
They've never messed with xylophone.
Sometimes I move feed bowls or logs to expose bugs under them.
Last week when it was so hot I spray water til there's a puddle. Mine love wet mud! but NO WATER OR WADING! :wee:drool:idunno
Oh, yes, "mowing days" are very popular, all those big mounds of fresh grass clippings to dig through and nibble on! I like the suet cage idea, thanks!

Back
Top Bottom