How do you manage iced water?

I'm in the upper midwest so expect the temps to stay under low 20s(F) (-4ish C) for months; dipping to below zero F (-18C) periodically.

I use insulation. The most effective (practical, at least) insulation per a given volume is vacuum sealed air space. A bucket meant to chill wine happens to be the perfect size for my flock. It has never frozen over the top in the daytime or frozen solid overnight but will freeze in from the edges (top, sides, and bottom) overnight when it is cold enough.

This summer, I found a second ice bucket at a thrift shop so I can switch them out - making one trip to the coop to do chores will be an improvement.

Experimenting this winter will include looking for a way to add a small bottle (or something) of boiling water in the bottom of the bucket; inside the bucket but sealed from the water they drink.

In Northwest Arkansas the lowest temperatures I saw were -8 F (-22 C) but more typical was a low in the teens Fahrenheit when it actually got below freezing. I had a frost-free hydrant in that area so fresh water was easy.

I winter I used black rubber bowls for water. If you could set them in the sun during the day the water would stay thawed well into the teens Fahrenheit (-9 C) due to solar heating. The sun does not shine at night and on some cloudy days so they would freeze. I'd smash them against the ground to knock the ice out and refill them. Since the bowls were rubber they would not break.

When I was a kid growing up in East Tennessee we'd cut a hole in the ice in the farm pond for the horses, cattle, and chickens to drink.
This is what I do across the board, too. Rubber bowls for chickens and bust ice for livestock.

Though now I've added troughs with heaters.

Just bought a heated dog bowl. It says not to use an extension cord but we're gonna have to use one to make it to the nearest outlet in the garage, so hoping this isn't a fire hazard. And I'm hoping the snow doesn't short out the bowl where it's plugged into the extension cord. This year will be a learning experience.

I'm in northeastern Missouri so no stranger to really cold winter weather. It can get in the minus teens here in January/February.

Tried the heated dog bowls. They work but seldom last more than one or two seasons for me before they conk out on me.

Last year I went to home made heaters that consist of a metal cookie tins with a coffee cup heater inside. Luckily I have power to my coop so no problem and the heaters work great. I have old metal mixing bowls that I set on them and no more frozen water.

A member here on BYC, passed on the idea to me. You can find the easy instructions here:

https://the-chicken-chick.com/make-cookie-tin-waterer-heater-under-10/

Just bought a heated dog bowl. It says not to use an extension cord but we're gonna have to use one to make it to the nearest outlet in the garage, so hoping this isn't a fire hazard. And I'm hoping the snow doesn't short out the bowl where it's plugged into the extension cord. This year will be a learning experience.
Tape where the cords are connected, with electrical or duct tape.

Back
Top Bottom