How do you manage iced water?

I use a 14 gallon clear plastic tote with lid, horizontal nipples, and a 250 watt stock tank deicer that is rated for use in plastic. The deicer has a thermostat. It keeps the water thawed, not warm. Turns on about 35 degrees and turns off when the water reaches 40 degrees. I get the clear tote so I can easily tell when the water is getting low. This has kept the water thawed even when we've had temperatures down to -26 F. This keeps my chickens in water for about 2 weeks which makes things so much easier in frigid winter. I also have a heated dog bowl in the shed just in case the deicer dies.

Just bought a heated dog bowl. It says not to use an extension cord but we're gonna have to use one to make it to the nearest outlet in the garage, so hoping this isn't a fire hazard. And I'm hoping the snow doesn't short out the bowl where it's plugged into the extension cord. This year will be a learning experience.
Use a heavy duty outdoor extension cord. Go the the hardware store and buy a plastic gadget/box that fits over the cords where they attach together and keeps out moisture. You find the plastic thingy mostly around Christmas as people use it with Christmas lighting. I have been using this system for 7 years without a problem in NW Montana.

Other than “curbstomping” frozen ice 😀, what do others do when there’s no power to the coop and no extension cord option? I thought maybe there would be a solar aquarium heater but it seems that is not available/feasible. Thinking I either will carry warm water over every day or use an aquarium heater plugged into a battery generator. Suggestions?

Last year I went to home made heaters that consist of a metal cookie tins with a coffee cup heater inside. Luckily I have power to my coop so no problem and the heaters work great. I have old metal mixing bowls that I set on them and no more frozen water.
I might try that! Are the cords for the coffee warmers waterproof?

With the winter months right at our doorstep, there's also that slippery stuff that we have all taken slips and falls on. ICE. how do us chicken keepers take care of this cold monstrosity in our hen waterers? I tend to just step one snow boot in, and my weight will break the ice. but sometimes we end up having huge chunks of ice in our frozen buckets. Thankfully for me, my chickens L O V E ice, so I can just go at that block hammer and tongs (literally). But not everyone is lucky like me. I have good chickens that are adapted to these freezing New England winters, but sadly, not everyone does. how do you keep the water in a liquid form, and not have it turn into a solid? Please comment below!
Heated dog bowls... I've found them to be the cheapest option. Can use them safely in the coop and in the run. Go with a model that has a wider bottom, as it will keep chickens who like to perch on the edge of the bowl from tipping it over.

Just bought a heated dog bowl. It says not to use an extension cord but we're gonna have to use one to make it to the nearest outlet in the garage, so hoping this isn't a fire hazard. And I'm hoping the snow doesn't short out the bowl where it's plugged into the extension cord. This year will be a learning experience.
Wrap the area where the bowl cord plugs into the extension cord with plastic wrap. Do it rather thick. We do that for Christmas decorations and it works in the snow very well. Might want to cover it with some thing the chickens won’t peck at.
They also make water proof covers for plugs. I’ve seen them in feed stores and hardware stores. Plus most stores will have them with Christmas decorations.

I might try that! Are the cords for the coffee warmers waterproof?
They appear to be. Given that coffee or tea cups can suffer spills one would assume they are.

What I did with mine was use silicone seal caulk around the cookie tin lids and around the cord where I notched a hole in the side so it was completely sealed and hopefully water proof at that point.

We are going to have our first 20 degree night here Monday night so tomorrow I'm getting mine up and testing them tomorrow, make sure they are still water proof.

We used both a heated dog dish and a 5 gallon bucket with a tank heater in it for several winters. This year we switched to this from Farm and Fleet:
Farm Innovators 2 Gallon Heated Chicken Waterer with Nipples
Blain # 1063517 | Mfr # HB-60P
Today's Price $49.99
1665887650013.png

With the winter months right at our doorstep, there's also that slippery stuff that we have all taken slips and falls on. ICE. how do us chicken keepers take care of this cold monstrosity in our hen waterers? I tend to just step one snow boot in, and my weight will break the ice. but sometimes we end up having huge chunks of ice in our frozen buckets. Thankfully for me, my chickens L O V E ice, so I can just go at that block hammer and tongs (literally). But not everyone is lucky like me. I have good chickens that are adapted to these freezing New England winters, but sadly, not everyone does. how do you keep the water in a liquid form, and not have it turn into a solid? Please comment below!
I use a heated stock water heater in my plastic trash can with horiz. nipples.It also has a pump in it.
PXL_20220926_232639224.jpg

Back
Top Bottom