how do you mark your chicks?

chickkrzi

Songster
11 Years
Dec 8, 2011
Waco texas
OK I hatch some chick's last weekend, have two off this one hen I would like to keep track of over the next few weeks. What I've done in the past was use fingernail polish on feet. But that seen to wear off quickly. This time I'm using nail polish and marking them on the back of head. That seems to work for about a week or so. Was just wondering what everybody else does?
Someone told me to try the wound care spray(purple) on there feet and legs it should stay on a lot longer.
(Hole punching is not an option )

We use a zip tie and a bead.
My son is raising these chicks as part of one of his merit badges for Boy Scouts. We left them loose and check them regularly to make sure they don't need adjusted again. They have an alphabet bead on them. When we reach the end and have to start over at A again, we add a colored bead so we have, for example, A and green A and blue A.

Pictured is green C

Last edited:
He weighs them every other day so this way he's also able to track each one individually to see who is gaining the fastest or who isn't.

Use those little elastic hairbands, they are everywhere, dollar store, walmart, food stores even usually have them. Just loop em back on themselves when theu are small.

We use a zip tie and a bead.
My son is raising these chicks as part of one of his merit badges for Boy Scouts. We left them loose and check them regularly to make sure they don't need adjusted again. They have an alphabet bead on them. When we reach the end and have to start over at A again, we add a colored bead so we have, for example, A and green A and blue A.

Pictured is green C

Never to of using bread ties and beads. That's a great idea.

Keep a close eye on any elastic band and inspect them daily. I can't stress this enough!

I've used the plastic hair bands to identify chicks, and they are very useful. However, I've had them get caught on something, stretch and then loop over a toe, constricting the position of that toe, which would have resulted in permanent deformity had I not discovered it.

In addition to that, I've forgotten all about the plastic band on the legs of fast growing chicks and have discovered them as they were becoming too tight, cutting into the circulation and causing a deep depression. Neglected for much longer and the band might have disappeared into the tissue of the leg.

There is such a huge learning curve with chickens, I swear! Thankfully, we have the benefit of BYC and don't all have to make all these stupid mistakes.

Now I use different colored nail polish, just a dab on the front and back of one leg, blow it with a hair dryer for a minute to dry, and it lasts until the chick develops individual characteristics that help you distinguish it from the others.

Back
Top Bottom