How do you mentally prepare yourself for the first butcher?

I had no intentions of them getting this big at all! I figured they would be like a normal chicken size- not a giant chicken monster! I think i'll process at 8 weeks instead of 9 next time. I have 50 more meaties coming on April 30th
th.gif

This is pretty much EXACTLY my circumstance! I do feel since I wanted certain breeds and I agreed to dispatch the roo's myself that I HAVE to do it! I have given ALOT of thought to the CL
"free roosters to a good home" thing I am also very concerned my roo's would go to someone to butcher them...there is alot of "neck ringing" to kill the chicken around here and I don't think that is the most humane way to go about it.....but what do I know.... I have never done it. I can't gaurantee my way (cutting both sides of the throat) will be any better...as I am not an experienced hand. Unfortunatly for the chicks I have now, they will be the "learning curve chickens". I hate it but what other option is there...I can't really just keep and feed a bunch of roo's for nothing. Not to mention dealing with their attitudes, crowing, my husband complaining, and my poor hens would get sexed to death! So I really see no other option than pulling up my Big Girl panties and get to it when it comes time!
The man of the house & I had 2 understandings when I got the chickens & ducks - 1. This is my "hobby". 2. We would not keep roosters.
I tried to avoid it by ordering sexed chicks, but got 2 roosters. Hey, it happens. I bought 6 chicks because I figured it would happen. I had one Buff Orp. & one EE rooster.

They started to crow (baby crows) at 18/20 weeks. He wanted the deed done. It was not the worst thing ever. Not the most fun Sunday afternoon I have ever spent, but hey, I stand by my word. I also see "free roosters to good home" on CL all the time, and I think there is no way to guarantee that is true. I also have no way of knowing if the new owner will butcher them or not, and if they do, I have no way of knowing it will be humanely. Add to that the trauma of moving them. I just decided my best choice was to process them.

I have some sexed chicks coming to me in May, but I assume there will be a boy or two in the mix again. If there are I will wait until 28 weeks to process them. They just weren't meaty enough.

Quote: EXACTLY. You'll do great.
It was surprisingly less traumatic than I expected. Though, I did tell my honey he was not allowed to call it a "Hobby Farm" anymore. No "hobby" I want includes killing a named pet in the side yard on a sunny Sunday afternoon.
If you need a pep talk, you can call on me. I am incredibly good at pep talks.

Wow that's a pretty big chicken to me! Normally at the store they are between 2 and 3 pounds. Thanks for the info

Our Cornish CX dressed out at 10 to 11 pounds last year. LOL they were big. They kind of got away from us.

It was hard for me to see that first one go but man, it was nice not to have that chore. By the second butcher day it was much easier.

We started with 5 birds. It took us 3 butcher days to get all 20+ done. This year we have 50 birds to butcher. Those Cornish X are tasty birds.

EXACTLY. You'll do great.
It was surprisingly less traumatic than I expected. Though, I did tell my honey he was not allowed to call it a "Hobby Farm" anymore. No "hobby" I want includes killing a named pet in the side yard on a sunny Sunday afternoon.
If you need a pep talk, you can call on me. I am incredibly good at pep talks.

THANKS A BUNCH!!!! I am sure I will need a good talking too! It is going to be a bad day...but like you said...I gave my word and soon it will be time to follow thru! I appreciate your support and the support I have gotten from several others here on BYC. It is a great resource!
If you don't mind me asking ...How do you process yours? Galanie and Beekissed recommend slicing both sides of the throat...Galanie said it takes about 10 seconds for them to pass out. Sounds pretty quick to me. So I thought that is way I am going to do it. I am always intrested in hearing everyone's experience and advice on what to expect. If you want to share.....I think you said you would wait until 28 weeks? Mine are 5 weeks so I have 23 weeks to get my plan and nerve up to do it. Do the roos start getting obnoxious by 28 weeks?

Yes, I used the same method Beekissed & Galanie recommend.
It seemed very quick & painless.

My EE rooster was a jerk for a loooooong time. My Buff Orpington was not.
The started crowing at around 18 weeks, and that was enough for the M.O.T.H.

roll.png

I would definitely wait longer, and I'll be able to if I have the same problem this summer, he is hiking the Pacific Crest Trail & isn't here to say "boo" about anything.

Yes, I used the same method Beekissed & Galanie recommend.
It seemed very quick & painless.

My EE rooster was a jerk for a loooooong time. My Buff Orpington was not.
The started crowing at around 18 weeks, and that was enough for the M.O.T.H.

roll.png

I would definitely wait longer, and I'll be able to if I have the same problem this summer, he is hiking the Pacific Crest Trail & isn't here to say "boo" about anything.

Thank You for the info. I am kind of hoping they are ALL a bunch of jerks! It would make it a little easier to carry out the job! Lucky you!!! Your MOTH is gone all summer! How did you pull that off???? I need to get mine into hiking!
lol.png

As to how to prepare yourself mentally, after you have made up your mind that this si what you are going to do, the important thing is to just do it. DON'T THINK ABOUT IT. Just do it. I can't emphasize this enough. And yes, it gets easier with time. I am the world's biggest wuss and I learned how to butcher chickens. I am now the designated chicken processor. If I can do it, anybody can.

As to how to prepare yourself mentally, after you have made up your mind that this si what you are going to do, the important thing is to just do it. DON'T THINK ABOUT IT. Just do it. I can't emphasize this enough. And yes, it gets easier with time. I am the world's biggest wuss and I learned how to butcher chickens. I am now the designated chicken processor. If I can do it, anybody can.

I agree... once you decide Just Do It. I have had to cull some tiny chicks and didn't want to but just did it before I could think too much about. After the first one I stood there and cried like a baby.

When we did our first 3 roosters I just got everything prepared...tried not to think and just did it. Just push it out of your mind until after it is done. Its ok to be kinda bothered by it. Killing something just does not come natural to many of us. We are so separated from where our meat comes from in our society.

Do you know, someone told me DON'T THINK ABOUT IT, JUST DO IT at my job 30 years ago and I still remember that as the best advice I ever got. No matter the situation.

Back
Top Bottom