HOW do you move chickens at night into another coop?

We'll try herding them up this evening. If that doesn't work we'll try the sneak and grab in the dark...

I learned my lesson about starting chicks too early for Montana! Food dust and wood chips everywhere! Glad I didn't paint the walls this winter because I would have had to do it again when I get them out of here. Next group I hatch will be timed so they can go directly into the little coop with the heat light! I do enjoy watching and petting them when ever I want but not as much as the work they cause.

After reading some reports of White Crested Black Polish chickens having their head feathers pulled out by other chickens makes me nervous for the four I recently bought. Since my adults are free range I'm hoping when the time comes for them to all be out together my Polish will be able to get away from the attackers. They'll be much older before that happens. Right now the (hopefully) girls are having some 'bad hair' days..
smile.png
They are much worse 'scratchers' then the five I hatched (misc. combo). They can really send the floor covering shooting across the floor out of the cage.

I'll miss that sweet little chirping they do almost constantly....

big_smile.png
Hubby was able to herd the two up to the big coop before we went to some friends for dinner but noticed there were three roo's still out. We gave them time to settle in then opened the gate for the pokies. Jack and Jill were back down to "their" pen when we got home but Phil got them back up the hill so I think things will go fine with them.

Will wait a bit to put the new chicks out. It started snowing right when we were leaving for dinner and is still snowing... a good eight inches on the deck. Beautiful big flakes.. very wet. Typical springtime weather for the Rockies.
wink.png
It is in the mid thirties... not terrible cold... with the heat lamp they'll be fine.

Thanks for all of your replies. I appreciate the help....

Back
Top Bottom