How do you name your chickens?

Omg how many chicks do you have? I feel like seven is a lot for a first time but I’m already dreaming about breeding projects for when i can set up my own place
I have nine adult chickens four Rhode island reds, 1 buff orpington, 1 Leghorn, two red sex links and a mosaic rooster, 5 chicks that are being integrated right now, two are silky, one is Easter egger, one Rhode island red, one black sex link , and then some couple week-old chicks from cackle hatchery 4 are silver laced wyandottes, 4 buff orpingtons and 5 are Easter eggers , and then two chicks that I hatched myself, and we've got some quail eggs in the incubator I know it's a ton right I think that equals up to like 29 chickens or something, :eek:I'm definitely a chickaholick 😂

Hey that makes it easier lol!

I can see why colon might not be the best name 😅

I’d love to see a chicken with a mustache!

Omg I love Sir Henry the Loud. That’s great. Often my animals were referred to by titles rather than their names. There’s The Cat, (we only have the one), The Dog, (who has since passed) and The Puppy, (even when she was an adult, tho we stopped using it since the other dog passed and living circumstances changed)

Maybe that’s why I haven’t named them. I know one day I might have to cull them and/or eat them

Sisters is interesting, but I also refer two my youngest two and The Babies or as one of the babies.

Alliteration! I like it! I tend to steer clear of fandom stuff because I’m always afraid of the animal possibly living up to its name. Tho a rooster named Loki could work... 🤔

That is quite the mix and number of birds! I feel

I’d also use names regardless of gender. It’s not like they know. Also, please tell me that Big Bird is indeed a big bird

As Courage is a great name! It just reminds me of a cartoon from my childhood lol. I’m glad she survived tho!

That is a terrible name to live up to, oof lol

I’m getting to know mine! Like one Legbar just flat out isn’t interested in me or people at all, my white duel purpose (I think that’s what she is) is super skittish, my Leghorn (also guessing her breed) is also a little skittish too, but she’s the first one there if I have a treat. One of my RSL’s seems to like my toes for some reason 🤷‍♀️

Omg how many chicks do you have? I feel like seven is a lot for a first time but I’m already dreaming about breeding projects for when i can set up my own place
My bird named Big Bird is an ironically small/medium Buff Orpington. She's old and sweet, but she is downright ornery if she thinks someone is carrying food. My girl Ester gets into the house sometimes (she knows where the catfood is) and my little Bantam Sebright named Autumn likes to chase the cats. I had a large rooster with no legs named Jim Henson. I had a little boy named Prince Cornelius. I've had many favorites and just as many names.
I hope you enjoy your flock as much as I enjoy mine.

My original four were all spice names: Pepper, Salt, Vanilla and Nutmeg.
Pepper and Salt are Dominiques, Vanilla is an Blue EE x BLRW, so she is splash (barely, has a few dark feathers on her neck) with red feather shafts on her wings and neck. (Definitely a girl, though.) Nutmeg is a Speckled Sussex.
Then came Melody and June Bug. I abandoned spice names. Mel is a Buff Orp, and June Bug is your typical chipmunk EE.

I have 2 easter eggers ( I thought they where a dark brama and americana) Olive and Luna, 1 barred rock, Betty, and 1 silver penciled rock, Mona, I had my family name them

My ducks are all flower names (except for the drake, who’s started out with a girly flower name originally lol) my moms chickens are all flower names too. My porcelain d’Uccles all have shiny names (for example:pplatinum and opal) and the Mille fleurs are kinda random names. My blue d’Uccle hens have names that start with J and the roosters have famous actor names lol.and my moms Wyandotte’s have old lady names :lol: it’s pretty arbitrary actually lol

Last edited:
We got six random breeds, when originally we only wanted four. Before we got the chicks, we decided on different liquor names just because we thought it would be funny. We chose;

Whiskey
Tiki
(Tequila)
Goose (Grey Goose)
Johnny (Johnny Walker).

We have two kids, so they got to name the two bonus chicks. My youngest is a Peppa Pig fanatic, so she named her chick Vanessa after one of Granny Pig's hens. My older daughter named hers Blackie because of it's black beak and feathering.

I'm going with the Disney theme, since I'm a huge Disney fan-
Black Australorp- Minnie
Buff Orpington- Ariel
Delaware- Elsa
Speckled Sussez- Anna
Barred Rock- Perditia
New Hampshire- HeiHei

Our name are a conglomeration of family members and just what popped into our heads at the time.
We started out with 6, 2-orpingtons Daffodil and Buttercup, 2-silver laced Wyandottes Egg and Nog and 2- barred ROCK but lost one to a hawk attack so when doing a head count it was wheres number 5 which turned into Chanel(#5), the second 5 are 2 gold laced Wyandottes Rosemary and Thyme, 2 blue Wyandottes biscuit and grits and a barred ROCK...wait for it ...wait for it COCO as in COCO Chanel lol. We purchased chicken anklets for our flock....we cant tell them apart either.

I have no theme, I just name them how their personalities are or how they look like! I have a bantam hen that loved to burrow and lay underneath everyone like an echidna so I named her Edna, I have a big ole Lakenvelder rooster that just acts so noble so I named him King, and the rest of my chickens all have names like their personalities. Henrietta, Big Mamma Bea, Eglentine, Ruby, and Laki. Then I have my Ayam Cemanis that all look identical (like little scavengers), so I named them all similar scavenger names. Vulture, Condor, Buzzard, and Crow

Until Anastasia, all of my bunnies have three-syllable first names. Shadoe Fjord, Thunderbolt, Eeyore Pine. Their middle names are all veggies/herbs. Shadoe Fjord Lettuce, Thunderbolt Spinach, Eeyore Pine Basil, and Anastasia Kale. Total, all bunny names have five syllables.

For my big chickens, I named them by breed.

-White Leghorns are named after places I have lived: Tucson, Fayed, and Holly.
-ISA Browns are named after desert plants: Cholla, Vera, and Lantana.
-Rhode Island Reds are named after red gemstones: Ruby, Garnet, and Topaz.
-Barred Rocks are named after black rocks: Onyx, Obsidian, and Ebony.
-Americana is named after American things: Liberty (if the others had survived, they would probably be Justice and Freedom.)

-The little chicks were originally named after gymnasts: Laurie, Nadia, Dorothy, and Simone.
-One of the kids named them after vinegars: Rice, Malt, Balsamic, and Sherry.
-Recently they all ended with the "ee" sound: Dorothy, Cherie, Jenny, and Emily.
-Currently they are Dorothy, Cherie or Minibar (since he looks like a mini version of my Barred Rocks), Jenny Honey (from Matilda, and Jenny is for Jenn Dancer), and Emily (after Emily Abbot).
-Soon I will need to rename my cockerels. Any suggestions?

I might keep Minibar for this one. And this is Emily, but I need to rename him.
Cherie 8 Wks.JPG
Emily 8 Wks.JPG

Back
Top Bottom