How do you not go crazy and buy so many chicken and chicken breeds?

It's difficult, for sure. Going to the feed store in the spring and the summer is a challenge for me ... Also, since you have Silkies and Naked-Neckers, do you plan to cross them and come out with some Showgirls? I'd be super tempted to do so if I had those two breeds :wee .
Yes I will, I am in FFA and I showed my silkies and they got 1st place so im excited to make some show girls!

So far I’m not very good at the self control 😅 I have been able to resist getting local hens, but chicks never get by me without snagging a few. We got a ten pack of Wyandotte and intended to only keep a few. Now I’m attached to the little buggers… I think we’ll be able to keep two of each colour (total 6), maybe I’ll sell more next spring. There’s so many different breeds and it’s like Pokemon. Gotta catch em all!!!
Currently:
2 WJG
2 Columbian Wyandotte
3 GLW
4 SLW
4 Sapphire Gem
2 EE
1 BCM
1 mystery chick

Want:
Salmon Faverolle
Bantam Cochin
Bantam Brahma
Silkies
Lavender or buff Orpington
Polish (that’s what husband wants)

I bought different breeds over the years sometimes they lasted a few years sometimes a few months. Id usually buy most birds as day old chicks unless purchased grown from breeders at shows. Sometimes Id raise the babies til pol then realize i didnt care for that breed or their personality. Eventually I settled on bantam ameraucanas. I can raise a lot more bantams with a lot less space and feed, though I do have one small pen of LF easter eggers. It might take you years to find out your preference, but eventually youll mainly keep your favorites and work with what you like but seems like that can still change all the time lol. I have a limit of $75 a month in feed, more during chick/grow out season, if Im going through more than 4or 5 bags of layer feed a month then I need to downsize lol. Also, the mixed mutts can out last purebreeds too, personality goes a long way on my farm 🤟

Back
Top Bottom