how do you open a quail egg?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by quailswiss, Sep 12, 2013.

1. quailswiss

quailswiss Out Of The Brooder

Aug 29, 2013
    Could you share your techniques of cracking open a quail's egg for eating - I always seem to get a bit of shell in my omelettes.

How to best cook quail eggs hard-boiled so you can peel them without losing half of the egg white sticking to the shell?

Thanks.

2. qlicer49

qlicer49 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2013
    Toronto, Ontario
    My Coop
    No idea what you're doing but I just crack mine like a normal egg :p

3. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    I found that if you use the tip of a sharp knife and cut a slit around the center of the egg, and cut thru the membrane, (cut about 1/4 inch) you can open it just like a chicken egg. You have to be delicate with it, but with practice of first cutting the egg open, you can crack them open easily for cooking. :)

4. James the Bald

James the Bald Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2013
    I wish my eggs "just crack like a normal egg". The membrane is a little thicker than a chicken egg.

How I crack quail eggs is I gently crack the egg along the center and take a sharp knife and cut the membrane and let the contents fall into a small glass bowl. The reason I use a glass bowl is any shell that breaks free will fall to the bottom, and it is easier to see any shells by looking from underneath the bowl. I also don't mind the extra calcium, so if it's small piece I let it go. Sunday morning, I will have a guilt free 9 quail egg omlett (no cheese), and my wife cooks four of them medium sunny side down. One of our regular members found a nice item that is shown here on U-toob. I'm going to find them online one day.

When I first started hard boiling eggs, I did a google search and found this site. This is how I make them, and I usually do 2 dozen at a time. But this morning I searched this forum, and found this, but so many members have their "own way" and it can be confusing as to which way is right.
    James

5. VickieB57

VickieB57 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2013
    I have an old pair of hair scissors (small and very sharp) that I use. It's easy to poke a hole in the side and then cut around the egg. (My quail have just hatched and I haven't had my own eggs yet, but a friend had given me a large batch of eggs some months ago, which is why I decided to get my own quail.)

All right, I just watched the video of the quail egg cutter on youtube, so I went into Amazon and bought a pair. They are $16.58 with free shipping for prime members. I'm looking forward to getting them in!

Last edited: Sep 12, 2013
  6. yinepu

yinepu Overrun With Chickens

I use quail egg cutters..

[​IMG]

7. bigrob83

bigrob83 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 30, 2013
    Texas
    oohhh I really need a pair of those quail egg scissors

like above I have been using small tip sharp scissors but I still git a bit of shell from time to time
    the membrane on mine are very thick.

8. JudiRose

JudiRose New Egg

Nov 6, 2010
    southern Illinois
    I also use the quail cutters. I got mine off Amazon (left a review, even, which is unusual for me). Works like a charm. Peeling them is another matter. That membrane is so tough. I let the eggs get a couple of weeks old before boiling or steaming, and that helps, but they still don't always look pretty.

9. buttercup95

buttercup95 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2013
    Northern Cali
    I take the pointy end and hit it on the table and then I pinch it and pull it off. After that I just dump out the yolk.

10. jarp87

jarp87 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 1, 2013
    Lost in Central America

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by