HOW do you pick?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by cluck-addict, Jun 12, 2010.

1. cluck-addict

cluck-addict Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2009
    MN
    I've got alot of chickens. and about as many breeds. How do you decide on just a few breeds when you want to specialize and start showing? I've got room for about 5-6 breeds

I LOVE my buttercup but she is pretty skitish
    I love our Cuckoos - they are sweet, friendly, hardy and lay alot!
    The kids love their silkies so I know I'll have to keep a pen for those.
    one son is partial to white leghorns but I don't even know if there are non-production strains out there?

My hubby loves speckles sussex but she too is a bit shy
    the welsummers and FBCM lay great eggs and I'd like to keep some of those

Brahmas look so pretty... but I don't have any of those.
    cochins are one of my favorites to look at.... but I had a nasty rooster who went to the freezer camp... his hen is a sweetie pie but is broody ALL the time.

ANY input or help for me?

2. joletabey

joletabey SDWD!!!!

Apr 9, 2009
    western NC
    If you don't care about anything else besides showing, then I think the silkies would be fun for your kids. I guess I would pick a breed where you can get good stock in your area from a breeder . And I would go to a show or two in your area and see what people are showing. There is always the fun of picking a breed that isn't in your area and being the only one to show that breed- but it's also harder to get good stock or advice.
    Sorry I am not any more help. . . .

3. cluck-addict

cluck-addict Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2009
    MN
    Thank you!!! I'm actually going to a show tomorrow. I"ll keep a seperate area for my egg layers and one for the meat birds. But I just am having a hard time narrowing it down. I'm sure people will say to go with what I love. I'd love to see some Brahmas. Anyone have good info on those?

4. joletabey

joletabey SDWD!!!!

Apr 9, 2009
    western NC
    Try doing a search here, you will come up with some amazing stuff.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by