1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How do you prepare your eating/hatching eggs?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by poultry09, Apr 13, 2012.

1. poultry09

poultry09 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 1, 2011
    Rainier, Oregon
    I was wondering how everyone prepares their chicken/duck/goose eggs? How you clean your hatching/eating eggs, how you properly store hatching eggs? and what products you use to clean them? I am trying to see if their is a better/faster way to properly clean the eggs I get

2. jruhle

jruhle Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2012
    I've been thoroughly cleaning my eating & hatching eggs using hot water & antibacterial detergent. I scrub them with a small piece of cloth until their clean and dry them with a paper towel.Just like washing dishes sortof. I've been writing the date on the hatching eggs and storing them in a cool corner of my closet. I also clean my hatching eggs thoroughly. I haven't tried hatching any yet, first year with duck eggs! I hope I can hatch some ducklings!

3. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    I actually tend to wipe with a cloth... I haven't quite figured a method out myself, i have heard you must be cautious as excessive washing and so forth can remove the protective outer layer.

I have seen ads for wipes but have no idea if they are worthwhile, pricey i bet though.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by