How do you prevent frostbite in the winter?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chicken+quail=luv, Nov 19, 2008.

1. chicken+quail=luv

chicken+quail=luv Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2008
    Strawberry fields.
    i am getting worried about my chickens getting frostbite. It has been getting very cold out, and i'm worried about my chickens! how can i prevent it?

2. thecochincoop

thecochincoop Chillin' With My Peeps

I have heard to put vaseline on their combs and wattles. I think their feet too.

3. chicken+quail=luv

chicken+quail=luv Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2008
    Strawberry fields.
    Quote:really? thanks![​IMG]

4. Guitartists

Guitartists Resistance is futile

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    You can dubb the combs of the ones with large combs.

For feet, provide roosts that are large so their toes can be covered by their bodies instead of wrapping around a narrow piece and being exposed.

5. CUDA

CUDA Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2008
    Michigan
    You can see an article on this on my blog HERE .

6. Mrs MIA

Mrs MIA Chick Magnet

Mar 3, 2008
    Just curious... just how cold is it getting?

7. ivan3

ivan3 spurredon Premium Member

Jan 27, 2007
    BOCOMO
    Keep an eye on the humidity level in the coop and provide protection from the wind. Ointments, ungents, emollients promote circulation when you're applying them; afterwards, not so much: (more than you probably want to know about frostbite and `goop') http://herkules.oulu.fi/isbn9514259882/isbn9514259882.pdf

Cass
    decided to `liberate' some of our granddaughter's baby socks, last winter, for the roo (his forbearance of human silliness is impressive).

[​IMG]

He still lost some comb tips when the temp dropped thirty degrees and the wind went to whipping one Feb. afternoon.
    Oh, almost forgot! Make sure their wattles don't spend any time in the water bowl.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2008
  8. elle357

elle357 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 6, 2008
    I have a roo who it appears has frostbite on one of his wattles that hangs the lowest. I am sure he got it from a combo of the wattle getting wet everytime he drinks water and the cold temperatures. It is now whitish and black. Is there anything I should do for him or how in the world can I keep his wattle from getting wet??

9. the1much

the1much Currently Birdless Hippy

Quote:how bout having a string go down from his hat, and have it hold his wattles up,, kinda like the "flying nun" look ,,, hahaha [​IMG]

10. snowydiamonds

snowydiamonds Chillin' With My Peeps

Hey, great idea! I'm going to crochet or knit a mohair cap for Brewster my BO and hope his ladies leave his cap alone...with ear flaps for those wattles, too! Maybe in red so its camo...yeah![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by