How do you process a chicken?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by dr8goons, May 6, 2009.

1. dr8goons

dr8goons Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    VA
    I have a rooster a need to kill and make dinner but i dont no how what do i need to do to process him? and how long does it take?

2. jaku

jaku Chillin' With My Peeps

3. TimG

TimG Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2008
    Maine
    Those stickied threads seem to need bigger letters or flashing lights!

4. bheila

bheila Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2008
    Kent, Wa
    Quote:I agree [​IMG] Then again I always had more and more questions even though I read them over and over [​IMG]

5. dr8goons

May 23, 2008
    VA
    is there anyway to do it if you dont have a cone? or a plucker? what could you use? i never thought id kill one of my chickens so i never got the killing stuff but the chcikens attacking my kids so he must die

6. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    Quote:Supplies: An axe, a stump, a good sharp knife, water, clean pans, ziplock bags, and your hands.

7. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    How old is he? If he is over a year old, he'll be so tough you will barely able to eat him. You may be better off finding him a new home.

8. dr8goons

May 23, 2008
    VA
    he will be a year the end of this month ive tried the rehome thing and no one seems to want him

9. Sunny Side Up

Sunny Side Up Count your many blessings...

Mar 12, 2008
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    A year-old roo will still be edible, in fact he will be quite flavorful, but you must cook him slowly with lots of moisture. I simmer my birds in a big pot of herbed water over low heat for 2-3 hours until the meat melts off the bones, they come out tender & tasty.

The cone is to keep the bird from reflexively flapping his wings after he dies. It's just messy, because it can splash the blood everywhere. You can chop off his head, toss him to the ground and place a bucket or milk crate over him until he stops moving. I hang my birds from their zip-tied legs and duct tape their wings to their sides.

Plucking isn't such a bad chore, just dip him in hot water 140-150 degrees for about 10 seconds and the feathers pull out easily. You don't need a mechanical plucker unless you're doing dozens & dozens of birds in one day.

Also be sure to take his food away the night before so his crop & intestines will be empty. I catch mine at night and place them in a big rabbit cage with just a dish of water until it's time for them to go.

I wish you success with your first attempt, any mistakes you might make will only serve to teach you what to do differently the next time!

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2009
  10. bheila

bheila Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2008
    Kent, Wa
    Since he's a year he will be tough but still good for soup. You can cook him in a crockpot too.

We use an axe, stump, 2 nails and a knife. That's all you'd need unless you want to pluck his feather's. I'd just skin him, especially since you only have 1 roo to do.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by