How Do You Protect Your Animals/Yard?

kuntrygirl

Reduce, Reuse, Recycle
11 Years
Feb 20, 2008
Opelousas, Louisiana
What security systems/cameras do you all have to protect your animals from 2 legged predators and other predators? I hear people talk about 2 legged varmints (people) coming onto their property and stealing their animals or other things and I'm curious to see what security systems everyone has in place to protect their animals.

Has anyone ever caught a person on camera stealing and were able to prove it?

I hope it doesn't come to that.

I use secure fences and some covered runs to protect my birds. A good neighborhood goes a long ways towards preventing theft by humans.

Although, I've had fruit stolen off my trees, so even a good neighborhood doesn't protect you 100%

I hope it doesn't come to that.

I use secure fences and some covered runs to protect my birds.  A good neighborhood goes a long ways towards preventing theft by humans.

Although, I've had fruit stolen off my trees, so even a good neighborhood doesn't protect you 100%

What kind of fruit?

What security systems/cameras do you all have to protect your animals from 2 legged predators and other predators? I hear people talk about 2 legged varmints (people) coming onto their property and stealing their animals or other things and I'm curious to see what security systems everyone has in place to protect their animals.

Protecting your place from a human predator can be the ultimate challenge! A perimeter fence goes a long way with keeping the property limits defined. A guard dog is also great to have on the property to watch over things. Often a security system or just a security system sign at the fence perimeter also deters bad guys. You could certainly install camera systems and such but we do not go to that extreme here on the farm. Both Smith and Wesson will keep the peace if any major threat were to pop up.

Protecting your place from a human predator can be the ultimate challenge!    A perimeter fence goes a long way with keeping the property limits defined.   A guard dog is also great to have on the property to watch over things.   Often a security system or just a security system sign at the fence perimeter also deters bad guys.   You could certainly install camera systems and such but we do not go to that extreme here on the farm.   Both Smith and Wesson will keep the peace if any major threat were to pop up.

Some places have to have cameras. And Smith and Wesson are useless if no one is there to fire them. :/

Having hybrids helps, I don't know why anyone would want to steal 2-3year old hybrids.
Asides that we don't tend to advertise having chickens, our neighbour is pretty quiet and no crime I can think of.
We have fields with fairly large cows in surrounding us in fields that go on for miles so a lot of effort if they did want to steal from us.

Lots of shelter from birds of prey, the only concern around here are birds of prey, which are mainly kestrels (too small to get a large fowl), and the occasional cat. Red Foxes have been spotted near us but pretty sure the farmer down the road saw to that, we haven't seen any foxes for at least 3years now.

Back
Top Bottom