How do you "re-home" a rooster?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Leavingegypt, Jun 3, 2012.

1. Leavingegypt

Leavingegypt Songster

Mar 21, 2012
    My little flock of 6 has 2 roosters. 1 must go to a good home. as sad as I am to see "Pat" (the formally undetermined gender chicken) leave~ I have an ideal home, a willing recipient who wants a BO rooster to head up her BO hens, so most would say I have the hard part figured out. The question is, these chicks are 12 weeks old and have ALL been together since day 1 as new born chicks from TSC. They are pretty much constant companions. How can I help my little family adjust? We will also be having 4 new chicks coming into the flock in less than 2 weeks. I will brood these chicks for several weeks then bring them into the coop in a seperate crate for all to get to know each other. Do I wait until then to send "P" on his way? Or is sooner better?
    It may be obvious by now, but these are my first chickens[​IMG]

2. groundpecker

groundpecker Songster

Jun 26, 2011
    Rison, Arkansas
    Go ahead and rehome him. He will be a bit distressed for a little while, but will quickly adapt with the new assortment of hens. The others should quickly adjust to him being gone.

3. Blondiechic

Blondiechic Chirping

Feb 1, 2012
    I recently had to re-home my wonderful rooster and I think I was more distressed than he was! He went to a great home and the first day was a bit out of sorts, naturally, but the second day was at home on their deck and with their dogs. My girls seemed to be ok, but I distracted them with two new arrivals...my first hen (who brought my rooster up) has become a bit more bossy though - nothing bad, and only I would notice it!

4. Mattemma

Mattemma Crowing

Aug 12, 2009
    I got one roo when he was almost a year old.The first time I put him with the 8 girls they attacked him.He had to fight hard for his top dog position.Regardless of the age they will have to fight for their pecking order position. I would get him going now.He will adjust.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: