How do you "re-home" a rooster?

Leavingegypt

Songster
7 Years
Mar 21, 2012
My little flock of 6 has 2 roosters. 1 must go to a good home. as sad as I am to see "Pat" (the formally undetermined gender chicken) leave~ I have an ideal home, a willing recipient who wants a BO rooster to head up her BO hens, so most would say I have the hard part figured out. The question is, these chicks are 12 weeks old and have ALL been together since day 1 as new born chicks from TSC. They are pretty much constant companions. How can I help my little family adjust? We will also be having 4 new chicks coming into the flock in less than 2 weeks. I will brood these chicks for several weeks then bring them into the coop in a seperate crate for all to get to know each other. Do I wait until then to send "P" on his way? Or is sooner better?
It may be obvious by now, but these are my first chickens
yippiechickie.gif

Go ahead and rehome him. He will be a bit distressed for a little while, but will quickly adapt with the new assortment of hens. The others should quickly adjust to him being gone.

I recently had to re-home my wonderful rooster and I think I was more distressed than he was! He went to a great home and the first day was a bit out of sorts, naturally, but the second day was at home on their deck and with their dogs. My girls seemed to be ok, but I distracted them with two new arrivals...my first hen (who brought my rooster up) has become a bit more bossy though - nothing bad, and only I would notice it!

I got one roo when he was almost a year old.The first time I put him with the 8 girls they attacked him.He had to fight hard for his top dog position.Regardless of the age they will have to fight for their pecking order position. I would get him going now.He will adjust.

Back
Top Bottom