How do you re-stock your flock?

peep-a-boo

In the Brooder
9 Years
Dec 21, 2010
Dripping Springs, TX
I'm still waiting to hear IF I can even have a backyard flock, but was just wondering down the line. Assuming I can, it will probably be <5 birds and no roos. If you have the same setup, how do you re-stock? Does anyone pimp their girls out
hide.gif
for fertile hatching eggs? "Beautiful, fun hen looking for a stud rooster for a good time. No commitments."
big_smile.png
And when do you re-stock? -after egg production dwindles? when you're down to a couple of hens or when they're all gone? I'm just wondering because in order to meet hatchery minimums, I would probably have to go over my HOA's (again assuming I get the OK) limit.

Flocks of all size, not just backyard small keepers, face this. Not everyone breeds and few keep roosters. Even larger egg concerns do not do their own breeding.

If you have a friend who does breed, you can place an "order" from them. You can order small numbers of 3 or 4 chicks from some hatcheries, but the price is steep for the handling. You can pick up chicks at a feed store or tractor supply.

You really cannot effectively lend out a couple hens for breeding and then hatch their eggs for the 12 days of their fertility. Such practices, while they would work, is tough and stressful on the hens and they may not lay. The risk of disease exchange is too high, as would the bringing in a roo for a brief visit.

So, you're looking at getting replacements every year or two or three. It just is what it is. And, it isn't difficult.

look around for other hatcheries, im in ohio, i ordered from a hatchery that didnt have a min. also when you restock, you just have to keep the new and the old separated especial if they r much younger. let them get use to the environment then add them in to your flock. i plan to keep my chickens for 2 yrs then we will butcher them.

First
welcome-byc.gif

Once you have been around for a little while you will find like minded folk in your area that you can get chicks, started pullets or even hens (from someone downsizing flock or breed).

Have you checked out the "where are you located" part of BYC? I found a thread that is just people from my state...several of them turn out to be within 1 hour of my house.
Right now I am trying to get a flock for the first time and 2 of those I just met on BYC are helping me out...actually 3...now that i think about it. So I didn't have to meet any minimum and 4 of the birds I am buying are already laying. Not bad for a first time chicken owner.

The easiest method is right around the 1 1/2 year mark, get 5 new pullet chicks. By the time they're ready to start laying, the current ones will be 2, and you can give them away or sell for $5 each, or make soup or whatever. Or buy older birds that are already 4-6 months old.

I've heard of "pimping out" chickens, but bio security is a worry of many. Plus with hatching eggs, you'll have no guarantee to gender. You could get 10 boys and 2 girls, or 50/50, or some other mix. Then you'd have to figure out what to do with the boys.

I've been adding in groups of 2 to start my flock. In a continual phase of renewing it, I guess you could say. The original 4, 2 were 1 1/2year old, the other 2 4 months old. The next 2 were 8 months old. The newest 3 I hatched myself, and luckily only hatched one boy, and had an extra hen to go with him as a pair for an easier re-home. They're now 4 months old.

So I have two laying every other day, the older ones. Not spent yet! 2 laying every single day, giant brown eggs. From the "yearlings". The next youngest two just started laying, every other day, likely because of their breed. Not a production breed. The 3 new babies, when they start laying, the oldest 2 will be given away. In a year or so, I'll need two more to replace the next oldest two.

That way I'm not replacing the whole dang flock at once. Gives me a reason to buy eggs online once a year and keep a couple girls. LOL This time I opted for ducks, and if they go as planned, I'll reduce the chickens by 2, and sell the novelty breeds that don't lay that well. Chickens that lay well for food, and ducks for fun and bonus eggs. I can't have a rooster, but I can have a drake! That will fill my hatching itch, having my own breeding ducks.

Thank you everyone! I've narrowed the breeds I want to get to Ameraucanas and Faverolles. I've been looking for breeders who have both and who are willing to send just a few. No luck so far. I've also been looking locally and I think
fl.gif
I might have found someone. Thanks for reminding me that hatching eggs are basically a straight run. AND I didn't realize about the bio-security issue! I've still got a lot to learn. I'll start lurking in the Where Am I, Where Are You forum.

Back
Top Bottom