1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How do you reboot a chicken ?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Buckguy20, Jan 9, 2008.

1. Buckguy20

Buckguy20 OKIE MOSES

Apr 13, 2007
    Choctaw Oklahoma
    OK my chicken laying operation crashed and came to an abrupt halt about three weeks ago following a week long ice storm.
    Prior to that I was getting around three dozen or so eggs per day. Now I am getting zero eggs from about 50 hens.
    Everything has been back to normal for three weeks and the weather has been above normal here for the past week. We even had three days with temps in the 70's.
    I have lights in the coop, plenty of pellets, and a few chops, lots of water and plenty of nest boxes.
    Everything is just like it was before they quit, but they haven't started back.
    Do I need to put KFC buckets in their pens or what?
    What can I do to get my hens back on line and resume their egg laying.
    Monty

2. luvzmybabz

luvzmybabz Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2007
    Hey Buck don't know what to say I got my layers on the 19th and 26th of december and 3 of them possibly 4 are laying right now out of 6 that are laying age I have them on lights and heat for the chicks in the breeder coop that is attached to the flock coop but since they started after the move everything has been going great here. I don't live that far from you so ? maybe breed right now I have 1 cochin 1 leghorn and 1 RIR laying.

3. Buckguy20

Buckguy20 OKIE MOSES

Apr 13, 2007
    Choctaw Oklahoma
    Thanks, My Welsummers had never stopped until right after the ice storm. My P reds laid right on through that week and have gradually came to a complete stop. My Orpingtons and all the others have stopped as well.
    I think I'll stop the chops and up the protein.

4. Buckguy20

Buckguy20 OKIE MOSES

Apr 13, 2007
    Choctaw Oklahoma
    Anyone else want to wade in!

5. Cuban Longtails

Cuban Longtails Flock Mistress

Sep 20, 2007
    Northeast Texas
    Not a clue, but no ice storm here. I'm still getting a few eggs daily. Maybe they figured out that you'd pamper them more if they stopped laying. [​IMG]

6. mdbucks

mdbucks Cooped Up

Jul 14, 2007
    EXIT 109 on 95
    I was gonna say first you get them with the foot to butt method, and when they land you do it again thus the term RE-boot. [​IMG]

7. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    Take MD's word for it, he's been RE-BOOTED himself a few times....
    (I actually don't think it helped)

8. Buster

Buster Back to Work

I like the KFC bucket method personally. When we are down to a few cows left to calve in the spring, my grandpa threatens to run the meat grinder in the field so they get the hint![​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 10, 2008
  9. okiechick57

okiechick57 Chillin' With My Peeps

Buck, I am getting NO eggs at all.........well 1 duck egg a day........one of the P reds you gave me layed me a couple then stopped...........must be the okie weather..........they are confused......if KYC buckets work......let me know ![​IMG]

10. MS9325

MS9325 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 20, 2007
    I havent gotten any eggs in a few months

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by