How do you reduce feed waste?

Pellets or Crumbles to keep food wast low.

• Pellets

Votes: 15 75.0%
  • Crumbles

Votes: 5 25.0%

• Total voters
I think I have it that high but they are still throwing it out by sticking in there beaks and throwing their head to the side. I use a red round feeder with an upside down mason jar screwed to the top. I will try to lift it a little higher and see if that stops it.
Thanks

Well I am just looking to see what everyone else does to reduce the amount of food that gets wasted by messy picky chickens. I have read many different posts and I just thought I would try to get a bunch of suggestions all in one place. Things I have done are switch to pellets instead of crumbles, elevate my feeders, keep the feeders covered so it stays clean and dry. What is everyone else doing.
This is my newest import they have been tested and work well to eliminate waste. They come in two sizes 10 1/2" AND 6 1/2" Just something to consider.

Well I am just looking to see what everyone else does to reduce the amount of food that gets wasted by messy picky chickens. I have read many different posts and I just thought I would try to get a bunch of suggestions all in one place. Things I have done are switch to pellets instead of crumbles, elevate my feeders, keep the feeders covered so it stays clean and dry. What is everyone else doing.
This is my newest import they have been tested and work well to eliminate waste. They come in two sizes 10 1/2" AND 6 1/2" Just something to consider.

When dealing with wasted feed, I used the hanging feeders with spokes, and placed a large round pan (steel oil pan) underneath it to catch what was scattered out of the feeder. We use organic grain feed which does contain some powder so the powder was generally what was in the pan. That powder is necessary for the chicks to eat to ensure complete nutrition. The catch pan under the hanging feeder saved a lot of feed, as well as odor from feed getting on the ground and then getting wet (yuck).

I also take the feed from the catch pan and mix it with plain yogurt. The CHICKENS LOVE YOGURT and it is great for them! This solved my problems with not wasting feed that falls from the feeder, assured they ate all the feed, plus gives them a boost of enzymes in their guts. It is also quite entertaining to watch them go to town on the yogurt.

This is something that I came up about a month ago to solve my anxiety regarding the epic waste of feed that is "normal" for chicken feeding. I was going through a large feeder every other day. Most of it ended up in the dirt, and the chickens didn't seem too eager to eat it. Rather, they'd act all hungry and trick me into filling the feeder.
So after months of seeing all this waste money fall on the floor and morph into dirt, I came up with this idea of a gravity feeder system. It's not only efficient because everything gets sent back up top, but it's incredibly clean too. Not a spec of feed on the floor. EVERYTHING goes into the collection receptacle.
It works via gravity. Place the source on top of a wire mesh screen floor, that sits over a funnel, which sits over a collection container.
I'm not trying to sell anything and I don't have any plans, just done from my head, but you will get the idea and be able to make your own. Please check out the link to several of my chicken videos on this topic. Thanks, Jeff
I've made 4 video variations so far.
DIY Zero Waste Bulk Gravity Chicken Feeder/Waterer Saves Money $$$

DIY "No-Waste" Gravity Chicken Feeder - SAVES $$$ MONEY

DIY ZERO-WASTE GRAVITY CHICKEN FEEDER!!!

DIY Bulk Gravity Chicken Feeder Recycles All Food - Zero Waste!!!

Back
Top Bottom