How do you remove eggs to candle without upsetting the balance?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Hooterville, Jul 25, 2008.

1. Hooterville

Hooterville Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm thinking ahead here! I'm setting my eggs in the AM. I'm a really new newbie! [​IMG] I'm wondering how you take out the eggs to candle without upsetting the balance in the incubator. Do you just take out a few at a time? Does the drop in temp really make a big difference?

Also, I've got a turner--should I try to take out one of the trays that holds the eggs to candle?

Yes, I'm overflowing with questions!!

Thanks for the help! [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 25, 2008
  2. Mom 2em All

Mom 2em All Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2008
    Southeast Michigan
    Wait til Day 7, and then take one egg out at a time to candle them. Put it back, then take out another, etc.

Dont try to take out the turner racks- that is a big ole pain in the butt that requires taking out the entire turner and unscrewing the screws, etc.

Good luck.

If you feel like it- you can also take your candler/flashlight and shine it through the top of each egg, leaving them in the turner inside the incubator. Just work your way on through them all, one at a time.

3. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Quote:I use a high powered surefire flashlight and go over the top of each egg in the bator to pull clears on day 14. Quick and easy. A little cool down isn't going to be a problem. Just avoid candling daily.

4. Mom 2em All

Mom 2em All Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2008
    Southeast Michigan
    You don't do Day 7? For the Seramas in my incubator this time, I did Day 7 (didn't have the patience to wait for Day 14), and I wont look at them again until I move them into the hatcher. [​IMG]

edited because:
    I obviously didn't know how to spell 'this'. lol

Last edited: Jul 26, 2008
  5. hatchcrazzzy

hatchcrazzzy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2007
    kemp texas
    i candle on day 10 i take out 3 at a time and candle them

6. Hooterville

Hooterville Chillin' With My Peeps

Thanks for the info. I'll let you know what I end up with!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by