How do you resist Feed store chicks

Pics
Why are feed stores bad sources of chick purchases? I am truly so naive about this. Are they hatched without proper meds, or vaccines? I’m asking because my husband purchased our 4 chicks 4 years ago from TSC, and 2 have died at less than 3.5 years of age. I’d like to get more chicks, but want to ensure that I am not the source of the problem if we should not be giving business to these types of stores. Thank you in advance, guys!

Why are feed stores bad sources of chick purchases? I am truly so naive about this. Are they hatched without proper meds, or vaccines? I’m asking because my husband purchased our 4 chicks 4 years ago from TSC, and 2 have died at less than 3.5 years of age. I’d like to get more chicks, but want to ensure that I am not the source of the problem if we should not be giving business to these types of stores. Thank you in advance, guys!

Generally they are not well taken care of. That said there are some stores where the employees do try their best but they are rare. Most are only there to make a pay check and don't care about actually taking care of live animals.

That said all my hens came from TSC. I lost one to a possum before I could get a chance to better secure the coop and one died because she got egg bound while I was gone when my niece was being born. Working on the 2nd gen of them now.

I know you have pictures of your flock on your phone! 😆 🤣 When you feel the urge to buy pull out that phone & look at your beauties 😉 Think of what getting that new chick would take away from them. The space, your time & attention, sharing treats etc. You can think of it as another way to spoil your current flock by letting someone else take on that new chick.

I'm in the market for new chicks this year so I'm looking forward to what our local Tractor Supply and feed store will get this spring! I've hatched my own in the past but then you always have the problem of what to do with the roosters. In my opinion, unless they are broilers they really aren't much good for anything. So I stick with buying pullet chicks when I need replacements.

Half my flock are technically TSC birds only they were purchased online and shipped directly to me from the hatchery that supplies their store.
The hatchery is the first link in the chain of hurdles you could face since they hatch in such bulk birds with problems are very rarely caught.
Once they hit the store they face less than ideal conditions when they're already stretched thin even if they're perfectly healthy.
I dld get birds with issues, out of ten one has comically short legs with one foot noticeably larger than the other an one that spins in circles.
Since the chicks were properly cared for and skipped the store experience entirely I didn't lose a single one and they're now coming into lay.
Also 3.5 to 5 years absolutely can fall into the normal lifespan of a laying hen.
You aren't guaranteed a set number of years, just like us when time is up they're gone no matter where they came from.:)

How do you resist i want to just hatch chicks this year but the bantam bin or really any chicks
After you have bought feed store chicks numerous ti. Re s and had them die , even after you have fed them 5 months, you get cured. Stores dont ever spend the money to have them vaccinated. Buy from Hatchery and have them vaccinated.

Half my flock are technically TSC birds only they were purchased online and shipped directly to me from the hatchery that supplies their store.
The hatchery is the first link in the chain of hurdles you could face since they hatch in such bulk birds with problems are very rarely caught.
Once they hit the store they face less than ideal conditions when they're already stretched thin even if they're perfectly healthy.
I dld get birds with issues, out of ten one has comically short legs with one foot noticeably larger than the other an one that spins in circles.
Since the chicks were properly cared for and skipped the store experience entirely I didn't lose a single one and they're now coming into lay.
Also 3.5 to 5 years absolutely can fall into the normal lifespan of a laying hen.
You aren't guaranteed a set number of years, just like us when time is up they're gone no matter where they came from.:)
There is a fairly high loss ratio in chickens. You need to figure it in. Just the way it is.

Back
Top Bottom