How do you safely remove a wingband

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by naakte, May 24, 2011.

1. naakte

naakte Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    Branson, missouri
    Maya has the most hideous wingband and i hate it. I pet her all the time and my ring catches the thing. there is no reason for her to have it on there. she is a tiny serama and it is so big looking on her. I want to take it off but need to know what the safest way to get it off of her. any ideas?

Donna in Branson

2. java girl 2

java girl 2 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2011
    NY
    Get a pear of wire cuter and cut it off!! [​IMG]

3. ruthless

ruthless Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2010
    Mount Vernon, Mo
    Donna, you will want to be very careful removing the wing band. It is used by some breeders as a permanent ID for their birds. It will leave a hole in her wing if you can get it off. And you may injure the wing when taking it off.

Here is a thread about them.
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=136022&p=2

Here is what they look like before being put on. There is a nub of metal that fits thru that hole and they are put on with pliers.
    http://www.randallburkey.com/Initialed-Zip-Wing-Bands-Color/productinfo/21051/

All I am saying is be careful, she is small and I would not want her wing injured. Good luck.

4. naakte

naakte Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    Branson, missouri
    I hate that thing Ruth. maybe i will run to the vet this afternoon and see about it

Donna

5. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Gritsar just removed one last week, I think she used wire cutters. I'll point her in your direction, then you'll know for sure. [​IMG]

6. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    How long has she had it? If it's been months I wouldn't attempt to remove it myself, thinking it may have grown into the surrounding tissue. If it hasn't been that long, it's a piece of cake to remove.

I bought 5 chicks with wing bands recently. First thing I did when I got them home was to remove the bands. Following instructions from one of the folks @ Ideal Poultry, where my chicks came from, I pushed the band as far to front of each birds wing as I could and simply clipped it off with a pair of wire cutters. They came off extremely easy, much easier than I thought they would.

Last edited: May 24, 2011
  7. ruthless

ruthless Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2010
    Mount Vernon, Mo
    She has had it many months. Got her at 10 weeks and it was on her. She is over 8 months now.

8. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    If it's been months, but the band is still freely movable (right word?) I would still remove it with the wire clippers. There's no blood and as I said, super easy.

It it appears non-flexible I would look for another way to remove it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by