How Do You Say The Word, Our

Quote:
I'm a Southerner but I homeschool two of my children so when teaching phonics to my daughter I forced myself to pronounce words like "dog" the way they should be pronounced phonetically, not regionally. Then one day I heard my cousin, who is a middle school math teacher, telling her Kindergarten son to read the word "dog". When he couldn't do it, she said, "D O G says dawg"... I laughed so hard I thought I was going to wet myself!
lol.png

Now you have me sitting here alone saying "d o g" out loud to see how I pronounce it...
gig.gif

here is an experiment. Say dog and log. Do they both rhyme? I say the og in log differently then I say the og in dog. I don't know why.

I read somewhere that some southern pronouciations are influenced by the older English way of speaking. I don't know if that is true or not.

How do you all say the word, can't. My can't rhymes with taint. My hubby teases me about that also.
roll.png

Last edited:
Quote:
Are you one of those people that have the 3 wise men dressed as firemen in the nativity scene in front of your house? After all, everybody knows that the 3 wise men came from a far.

Ya reckon?
gig.gif

I was raised (by a sister) in the mountains of NC. I have also lived in eastern NC. Two totally different dialects. I can now speak both. When I speak to my elderly father (a yankee
roll.png
) I have to tone my southernese down a bit so he can understand me. I dunno why; I understand him just fine.
hu.gif

While we're at it, there is only one form of soft drink. It's a coke. It doesn't matter if the brand is pepsi, coca-cola, dr. pepper...it's still a COKE.
AND dinner is the meal in the middle of the day. The evening meal is supper.
tongue.gif

We are close to the Lumbee tribe in the neighboring county and it is very interesting to hear them talk. I'm sure that a lot of folks that are not familiar with Lum speak would be greatly confused! Just imagine putting an extra "u" in just about everyword. Sha. I can't say anything because I talk like a hick!

Quote:
Now you have me sitting here alone saying "d o g" out loud to see how I pronounce it...
gig.gif

here is an experiment. Say dog and log. Do they both rhyme? I say the og in log differently then I say the og in dog. I don't know why.

I read somewhere that some southern pronouciations are influenced by the older English way of speaking. I don't know if that is true or not.

How do you all say the word, can't. My can't rhymes with taint. My hubby teases me about that also.
roll.png

If I'm speaking normally (not teaching my DD), dog and log do not rhyme, but hen and pin do!
big_smile.png

I do pronounce can't the correct way though.

Yep we only have Coke. All brands are still coke. But better not try to put Pepsi in a sotherners Jack an Coke.

Ask for a soda at my house an I will give ya the baking soda box. Asking for a pop will just get ya hit.

We do use the terms breakfast lunch an dinner.

I think my "can't" is right?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom