How do you sell a barn?

frankenchick

Crowing
15 Years
Apr 20, 2007
Benton Twp., Michigan
We have a very large barn that was built in the late 19th century. It is getting very rickety and we have the means neither to fix it nor tear it down.

We thought of selling it, but have no idea of how to go about it. The beams are hand-hewn; the fact that they have suffered powder post beetle adds to their appearance (tho of course anyone would want to fumigate them before using them for decoration as a mantle, etc.) There is a lot of wood, as the barn is the height of a two-story building basement to roof.

Any ideas?

I'm on my way out of the house, but I'll find a link for you later. There is a group in my area that takes down old barns, refurbishes them and sells them. I think the group is heritage farms in Texas.

In my area people either advertise it or respond to numerous ads from those who dismantle old structures and sell the "antique wood" for an arm & a leg. Make sure you get more than one bid for the job and those doing the dismantling are independent contractors that can't go after your home owners insurance if they get hurt.

My wife's parents looked into trying to sell their old 1870 post and beam barn about 5 years ago. The best offer they got was a company would come and take it down, take what they wanted and leave the rest. So last year we renailed it, pressure washed it, and went through 56 gallons to paint it.

Reclaimed lumber is BIG business lately. Take into consideration how much GOOd wood is there to be reused and any tin if there is soemthat is still good. Also any big pieces of wood like 6x6 or 4x6 etc.... Those cost a lot. You could post on craigslist, ebay, any local sale papers you have and take the highest offer. Just make sure the people that are doing the work clean up behind themselves. You don' t want a pile of junk left on your place for you to have to clean up. If you don't sell it, and don't want it there anymore, burn it down.

Back
Top Bottom