How do you sell chickens?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by NellaBean, Oct 15, 2009.

1. NellaBean

NellaBean Graceland Farms

Mar 4, 2009
    Broodyland, TN
    My Coop
    Okay, not LITERALLY how do you sell them.....but how do you get them to the buyer? As in, what do you put them in? Cardboard boxes? Carriers? Cages? I have some "not so friendly" chickens. Not mean, just the usual scared flighty stuff. I would hate to have to switch over from my carrier to the person's own cage. How do you guys normally handle transporting a chicken if you are meeting someone? How about a group of chickens?

2. AccentOnHakes

AccentOnHakes Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2009
    We just put them in a cardboard box.

3. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    I always use a large carrier-unless the person says its ok to put in a box that you dont get back???

4. faykokoWV

faykokoWV Mrs Fancy Plants

Nov 4, 2008
    Cross Lanes, WV
    I went to a swap meet and put several in a dog crate to sell. I had some people come to my house to buy some and I caught them and put them in their dog crate. I recently was given a duck, I met the person in a parking lot and she handed it to me in a box which I drove home with.

5. mandelyn

mandelyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2009
    Goshen, OH
    Usually I bring a box when I'm meeting/going to the seller. Transferring hasn't been an issue. One woman brought 6 chickens in a rabbit cage for me to choose from, I chose 2, and put them in a box I brought.

I've also "carried" them home if I wasn't prepared and saw some I had to have.

When I was selling at the flea market, I would bring boxes and a tool to cut holes into them as the chickens sold, for the people who didn't want to carry them home.

It's never been an issue bringing my own box/cage, and every single person I ever bought from requested it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by