How do you set temperature on a heat plate?

Aequacheek

Chirping
May 3, 2019
I am a first time chick mom and since I am brooding them in the house I chose to use a heat plate for safety, but I am puzzled as to how I am supposed to set the temperature. When the thermostat probe is on the plate, I get a good temp reading, but if I put it on the bedding under it drops significantly, and also the chicks keep pushing it around when setting down anyway. I know the kind of plate I have heats by contact and well, the chicks don't seem to be overheated but they don't seem to be chilled either so I'm not sure how to proceed. Should I tape the probe to the plate?

186476372_313515993471501_17053929394785133_n.jpg

I love my heating plates. If the chicks are acting fine, you don't need to adjust it. Basically, it is just radiant heat. You should have the room at room temperature or about 67-70 degrees F for best results, I find.

You just raise it as they get bigger. As long as they can put their backs on they should be fine. Mine end up running around and ignoring it anyway.

I love my heating plates. If the chicks are acting fine, you don't need to adjust it. Basically, it is just radiant heat. You should have the room at room temperature or about 67-70 degrees F for best results, I find.

You just raise it as they get bigger. As long as they can put their backs on they should be fine. Mine end up running around and ignoring it anyway.
They are getting out to eat and drink and scratch just fine, then run back under :) One is smaller and spend more time under the plate but I guess that's normal if she's a runt. thanks for reassuring me lol

You have a good one that allows it to tilt. Then they can find the space/temp they like. I have 1 I can tilt, and another I cannot tilt, the legs don't allow that. I definitely prefer the tilty one.

Sounds like your birds are doing awesome! I prefer the plates because then they adjust to a normal day/night routine, and I find they just do better when they start out that way. My first clutch we used a heat lamp for a couple weeks. When we first switched to the plate they were piling into a corner and panicking when evening came. I had to calm them down for the first couple nights. Second batch was a heat plate right from the start and they never had a problem. Also, they barely ever used it. Crazy little hooligans!

Back
Top Bottom