How do you ship a live rooster?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by sarahloveschickens, Nov 5, 2008.

1. sarahloveschickens

sarahloveschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2008
    Poconos, PA
    Hi. I want sure where to post this... so sorry if its in the wrong spot... How do you ship a live rooster? Im not sure how

2. sarahloveschickens

sarahloveschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2008
    Poconos, PA
    anyone.. please?

3. DUccleDude

DUccleDude Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2008
    Cameron Mills, NY
    I think you have to get a special box and find out if your post office will ship live birds. over night shipping I think

4. okiehen

okiehen Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2007
    Oklahoma
    You can ship with American Airlines priority shipping. You will need to have a shipping box that is Airline approved for live birds. The cost will be by weight and size of box. Look at the web site and give them a call.
    www.aacargo.com

5. orcasislandchickens

orcasislandchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2008
    I just got 2 hens today. You must have an approved box. Then you can ship through the post office, just like sending chicks. You put food and a watery substance like juicy fruit in the box and send it the fastest way possible, overnight if you can.

My hens got here in a day and a half.

On the box it says Horizon Micro Systems for shipping live birds for the Us Postal service.

www.hm-e.net
    ph. 800 443-2498

Do a search on byc for shipping birds and you will find some very good info.

Caution it is not cheap: I have paid $40- $60 (including the box)

I shipped a parrot once Delta Dash for $90

6. bruselee

bruselee Out Of The Brooder

May 23, 2015
    Russellivlle arkansas
    How do i rooster ship here from Vietnam

7. JennieRD

JennieRD Chillin' With My Peeps

Good luck, you have to go through a series of paperwork with the federal government to be approved. Its not easy to bring poultry in from other countries. Last I heard, the only farm given approval for imports was Green Fire Farms. Google importing poultry into the United States

I looked into it once, and after looking over the red tape, it wasn't worth it. By the time the bird gets her you will have invested a small fortune. If you can find your breed here in the US I would go that route, Id rather pay 150.00 for a good rooster here than 500-1000 to have it die from being stressed out in transit.

8. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    It would be a lot cheaper to buy one there in Arkansas...

9. keesmom

keesmom Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    MA
    You can't. APHIS has a long list of countries and regions from which it prohibits importation of poultry, including hatching eggs. Vietnam is on that list.

10. chickengeorgeto

chickengeorgeto Overrun With Chickens

Dec 25, 2012
    In the past I helped EXPORT many chickens to Mexico, Saipan, and the Philippines but I am totally ignorant about how to go about importing a single feather. I don't think that you can even import the neck hackles off of roosters anymore, even when you ship them in a container of formaldehyde to kill the germs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by