How do you ship live birds?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by crazychickengirl, Sep 5, 2008.

1. crazychickengirl

crazychickengirl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2008
    Glenmont, Ohio
    I need some help! I've FINALLY found a buff Chantecler roo, but it needs to be shipped to me. The owner said that I need to pay for shipping and an approved box for the bird. Is this just as simple as a phone call to the post office? I'm clueless when it comes to shipping live birds! HELP! Jen [​IMG]

2. pdsavage

pdsavage Sussex Monarch

Mar 27, 2008
    NW,Missouri
  3. midget_farms

midget_farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Dunlap Illinois
    Shipping an adult bird can be stressful. A day old chick has its yolk and doesn't need to eat or drink for the first couple of days. An adult bird will become stressed if it goes that long w/o water. The post office does not allow water or food in the box with the birds to be shipped. I received a box of dead birds once & learned.

There are tricks though you can use. Give the roo pedialite for a day or so ahead of time to get it good electrolites & add a cut up apple or orange to give some moisture. Even the fastest shipping may take 2 days.

The post office will call you at 5 or 6 am the day the bird arrives & you will need to go directly there to get him. Use the box PD linked to & it will be just like shipping off of ebay.

NEVER put too many birds in 1 box. They will suffocate.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by