how do you show a chicken?

cindy leigh

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jun 24, 2009
County fairs are coming up around the end of August. How does one show a chicken? Which breeds are shown? How do you prepare? What do judges look for?
Thanks!

First to better help the people answer your question are we talking 4-H or open class?

Chris

HEy look at my chicken!

People have posted some very fine answers to this question. from how to pick one , how to deal with broken feathers and when to . Washing the bird, tips and trick to make the bird look better. How to wash a white bird. I was hoping that someone made a sticky or the info was consolidated and move to the main site. IF it was I can not find it sorry.

I would say it depends on the judge, but make sure you study the standard of perfection of your breed. If your bird is not true to standard it wont get looked at.Things such as points on comb, earlobe color. the judge at our county fair said your best bet is a white bird,(if it applies) because then you can focus on type and not color defects. Of course make sure your bird is clean, no mites, toenails trimmed beak trimmed.

All entered birds get looked at and handled (unless obviously ill or displaying signs of parasites).

However if a bird does not meet the minimum requirements for the standard, it will not compare well with those that do.

If your bird meets the standard (no disqualifications for the breed and variety), then start conditioning at least 6 weeks before the show. Train it to accept handling. Feed quality feed, supplementing with an assortment of fruits and vegetables; add oils (safflower, olive, flax, fish--NOT corn oil) or oily seed (sunflower, safflower, flax to feed.

Bathe and keep on clean bedding. Trim toenails and beak as needed; pull broken feathers at least 6 weeks ahead of the show so that they have time to grow back in.

Keep white birds out of the sun and avoid corn & milo.

Plan to have a wonderful time!

I saw the judging for a county fair and they didn't touch a single bird. Sometimes they moved a ruler in to get the bird to stand...

With that method feathering is almost more important than structure...

Back
Top Bottom