How do you slim down a chicken?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by taprock, May 13, 2011.

1. taprock

taprock Chillin' With My Peeps

I've had two chickens die this week without any definite reason why. The last one we opened up to see if there was anything that looked wrong. The only thing we noticed is that she was fat. She didn't look it and I hadn't been worried about it but now I'm wondering if that is my problem. How do I get my chickens to lose weight? They free range at least part of each day and at least 4 days a week for the entire day 8am to 7 pm. I only give treats when I call them. Although my son may be sneaking them snacks.

2. fried green eggs

fried green eggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2011
    S.E. Michigan
    I'm sorry for your lose [​IMG] Are they CX's or Meat birds? They can eat almost non stop if allowed and die too soon. [​IMG]

3. taprock

taprock Chillin' With My Peeps

These are 10 month old Polish who have been laying about 2 months.

4. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    I'm sorry for your loss. Normally I would think it was from too much grain and not enough protein in the diet. They're getting enough exercise. Are you feeding a balanced commercial feed? Do they get scratch? How much are you giving them of the treats and what kind? I would definitely talk to your son about this, too. My husband is old enough to know better, but he has at times given too much scratch and caused problems with the chickens. People think they are doing something nice.

5. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    I agree with woodland woman. Too much corn or other high carb foods. I would give them more greens and knock off any scratch.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by